Sunday, September 7, 2008

PAN-SEARED SCALLOPS WITH RASPBERRY VINAIGRETTE


Tonight's meal was an exercise in multi-tasking. Guy doesn't like scallops. He also doesn't like grits. Nor does he like broccoli. I made him garlic and onion steamed crabs and he was happy eating that with no veggies. But at the same time, I cooked my dinner which was broccoli and peapods, Havarti Grits, Pan-Seared Scallops and Raspberry Vinaigrette. And, amazingly, we both sat down to eat at the same time. I am still unsure how that happened. Not surprisingly, I did goof on my meal a little bit. I should have added some cornstarch to the vinaigrette;
it was a bit runny. I've corrected that in the recipe below. And, in my rush to get things done, I forgot to blot the scallops on a paper towel to dry them well before I seared them; hence, they didn't brown well. But, in spite of my little slip-ups, the meal was delicious. The raspberry vinaigrette is so nice on the scallops -- a perfect complement. I can't even describe the grits, they were just so wonderful. And I love broccoli and peapods with garlic and olive oil. So I was in my own heaven as I ate.

Pan-Seared Scallops with Raspberry Vinaigrette
Vinaigrette: 2 Tbsp. raspberry preserves
1 Tbsp. raspberry balsamic vinegar (or plain balsamic vinegar)
1/2 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
big pinch of black pepper
Place all vinaigrette ingredients in a small saucepan and heat to boiling. Cook about 3 minutes, or till sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat; cool slightly; press through a sieve to strain out seeds. Keep warm.

Scallops: 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. fresh sea scallops
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
Heat the oil to a sizzle in a 12-inch heavy fry pan over medium heat. Add the scallops; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook about 2-3 minutes; turn; cook 2-3 more minutes, or till scallops are almost done inside. (It's always a good idea to slightly undercook fish. Scallops should be nicely browned when you turn them.)

Serve scallops with the raspberry vinaigrette drizzled over them on a bed of cheesy grits.
Yield: 2-3 servings


No comments: