Tuesday, November 25, 2008

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE EXPERIMENT #2: CHOCOLATE CHIPPERS WITH COCONUT FLOUR


For the second batch of coconut flour chocolate chippers, I wanted to see if I could get more of a cookie texture. So I used the Smart Balance 50/50 Butter Blend, upped the flours, eliminated the extra egg yolk, cut the milk to 3 Tbsp. and just slightly upped the sugar. These are more of a cookie texture, but they're still very big and fat, and they're wonderful! I baked these at 350F, instead of 375F, and I think that contributed to a better texture also, although they don't brown quite as much. There are some men around here who are clamoring for more. If I use all the coconut flour to make nothing but these chocolate chippers, they will be quite happy.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Experiment #2: Chocolate Chippers with Coconut Flour
Rating: 9.5 out of 10

INGREDIENTS:
1 stick (4 oz.) Smart Balance 50/50 Butter Blend, melted, cooled
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar (I used 2 tsp. Stevia)
1 large egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. coffee brandy or strong coffee
3 Tbsp. milk (I used fat-free H&H)
1-1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
heaping 1/4 tsp. baking soda
heaping 1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 cup chocolate chips (I used 20 Hershey Blisses, chopped)
1/3 cup toasted broken walnuts

Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, beat the sugars with the somewhat cooled butter till well combined. Use a whisk, not an electric mixer. Mixing cookies by hand makes a better cookie. Add the egg and whisk again till well combined. Stir in flavorings and milk. In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients, chips and nuts and mix well. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir with a spatula till you can't see flour any more. Using an ice cream scoop (about 1/4 cup), drop dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, spacing several inches apart.




















Bake for 12-15 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted near center returns with just a few crumbs. Cookies will be soft and will not be browned, but take them out any way and let them cool in the pan for 2 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to finish cooling. Yield: 11 big fat cookies

6 comments:

Katrina said...

Judy, those look SO good! I'm all about the ccc, you know! Love all the changes and that you still got a great cookie!

Anonymous said...

YUM! I've never even heard of coconut flour.

Akilah said...

I just made these! Delicious.

Judy said...

Akilah, thanks so much for the feedback!

Akilah said...

No problem, Judy. Thanks for the recipe!

I used half coconut oil and half butter because I don't have Smart Balance, and I used rum instead of coffee, and I didn't use walnuts. But they were still fantastic.

Judy said...

Akilah, Good changes. I may try it your way. You've made me hungry for some.