Saturday, October 1, 2011

CRACKER BARREL OLD COUNTRY STORE CARROT CAKE

copycat cracker barrel carrot cake

I’ve never tasted carrot cake from Cracker Barrel, but this recipe is supposed to be a copycat of it.  Whether it tastes like Cracker Barrel’s or not I can’t say, but I can say that this is one delicious carrot cake.  It’s fully loaded with everything that can go into a carrot cake:  walnuts, carrots, pineapple, coconut, raisins and spices.  Light and flavorful with a sweet cream cheese frosting, this cake will make a bit hit at your next gathering. 

copycat cracker barrel carrot cake (5)

I made some changes.  I used some white whole wheat flour in place of some of the unbleached all-purpose flour, I subbed buttermilk for half the oil, stevia for some of the sugar, and I soaked the raisins in Canadian Mist whiskey.  I couldn’t resist.  The recipe below is printed as I got it, with my changes in brackets and Italics.  You can decide if you want to make it from the original or my way. 

copycat cracker barrel carrot cake (2)

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store Carrot Cake
Adapted from food.com
Rating:  9 out of 10
Click for PRINTABLE PAGE


CAKE INGREDIENTS:
3 cups flour (I used 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour + 2-1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose)
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/2 tsp. sea salt or kosher salt
1-1/4 cups vegetable oil (I used 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil and 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. low-fat buttermilk)
1-1/2 cups sugar (I used 3/4 cup sugar + 3 Tbsp. NuNaturals Stevia)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (my homemade extract)
3 large eggs
3/4 cup toasted finely chopped walnuts
2 cups finely shredded carrots
1 cup crushed pineapple (8 oz. can with juice)
1/2 cup finely shredded coconut (I used Baker’s sweetened dried)
1/2 cup raisins (soaked in bourbon or whiskey till plump then drained)

Heat oven to 350F.  Grease and flour a 9” x 13” pan.  In large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt; set aside.  In another large bowl, using medium speed of electric mixer, beat oil, sugars, vanilla and eggs until smooth and fluffy.  Add walnuts, carrots, pineapple, coconut and raisins and blend well on low speed.  Gradually add flour mixture, 1/3 at a time till blended thoroughly.

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 40-50 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted in center returns clean.  Cool in pan on wire rack at least 1 hour, or till thoroughly cooled. 

Prepare cream cheese frosting: In medium bowl, beat 8 oz. softened cream cheese and 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter on medium speed of electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Beat in 1 tsp. vanilla and gradually beat in 2 cups powdered sugar till smooth.  Turn mixer on high and beat frosting till light and fluffy.  Spread on cooled cake and sprinkle with 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts.  Yield:  about 24 servings, depending on size of slices

1 comment:

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

wow...looks utterly delicious...awesome presentation..:)
Tasty Appetite