Monday, December 10, 2012

FAVORITE CHRISTMAS COOKIES

Here are some of my favorite Christmas cookie recipes.  Click on the links provided to get the recipes.

Bon Appetit’s  Chocolate-Peppermint Bark Cookies are one of my favorite cookies of all time.  They look beautiful and festive on a holiday cookie tray.   Dark and white chocolates and peppermint candy form a bark on a shortbread base -- I could eat these all day long.016_thumb[6]

Cinnamon, cloves, black pepper and two kinds of ginger provide a powerful punch to these soft, slightly chewy cookies.  Chocolate-Dipped Ginger Cookies are dipped in bittersweet chocolate to take them over the moon.

Who else but Pillsbury could give us the best version of this classic cookie?  Swedish Tea Cakes, aka Russian Tea Cakes, Mexican Wedding Cakes, Butterballs and Snowballs, should be on every Christmas cookie tray.  Everyone, including me, anticipates them at holiday time.

Santa's Spicy Gingersnappers -- This one's a $2500 Better Homes and Gardens prizewinner, and one of the best soft gingerbread-type cookies I’ve ever tasted.  The texture and flavors are reminiscent of Archway cookies.
.  005_thumb3

Four Seasons Hotel’s Chocolate Ginger Cookies are ultra-rich, chocolatey, spicy and absolutely delicious.
003_thumb[3]

Good Housekeeping's Blueberry Linzer Bars are soft and tender and the flavorful dough is made with hazelnuts.  This is one of my new faves.

Peppermint Candy Fudge-Filled Butter Balls are a classic Christmas cookie from the 1954 Pillsbury Bake-Off.  Perfect in every way.

Joy of Baking’s Pecan Shortbreads are so versatile.  You can decorate them a million different ways or serve them with just a dusting of powdered sugar.  Cut them into different shapes or just into squares.  It’s up to you to decide on the shape and decorations, but they are tender, buttery and delicious no matter how you do them.
pecan shortbread paper box (4)_thumb[3]

Aunt Ann's Italian Anise Cookies have been a treat in our family for many years.  You can change the flavors  to vanilla or lemon, if you like.

Chocolate and ginger go so well together, and Chocolate Gingerbread Drops are super easy to make.  Dried cherries combine with chocolate chips to marry the ginger-spiced cookie.
Ch Gin Drops

Pecan Cinnamon Crescents  have a very mild cinnamon flavor.  They're delicate, tender, not too sweet and absolutely delicious.

Glazed Coconut-Almond Rum Balls are a delicious and different take on the classic Mexican Wedding Cakes, and would look beautiful on your Christmas cookie tray.
005_thumb4

Kisses will always be a top fave of mine, because I love Lekvar.  If you can’t find Lekvar, all is not lost.  It’s easy to make – instructions are included in the recipe.  These cookies are loved by all.
DSC01376

A recipe I've been making for over 50 years, Scandinavian Cookies have a rich, caramel-flavored shortbread base rolled in chopped nuts and filled with tart jam.  They may look like Kisses, but the dough is different and so is the flavor.  It's a toss-up to see which one wins, because both cookies are to-die-for.


Fudgy Pumpkin Cranberry Cookies are delicious little morsels that have a fudgy texture but no chocolate, and a sweet cream cheese glaze.cookies

Caramel Shortbread Sticks, from Land o’ Lakes -- a yummy delicate shortbread cookie dipped in caramel and pecans.  They’re wonderful!
DSC01414

Amaretto Butter Balls are another delicious variation on the traditional vanilla-flavored Mexican Wedding cakes.
.DSC01370

Don't forget these insanely good Rugelach.  This recipe is excellent, and I guarantee they won’t stay on your cookie tray very long.
DSC01389

Fig-Filled Bars, from Pillsbury, are deliciously reminiscent of Fig Newtons.

If you're tired of the same old thumbprint cookies, try my Chocolate Heath Bar Thumbprints.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

My goodness, what a wonderful selection of cookies. I want to try them all!
*kisses* HH

Diane said...

I love ginger and shortbread so there is plenty here for me to choose from. Thanks, Diane

Unknown said...

¡¡OMG!! I love cookies and, of course, your selection.

Regards.

ann low said...

Looking at those cookies make my mouth watering...

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean said...

i LOVE the chocolate peppermint bark cookies! for some reason, i'd never even seen them before this year! now i've made them twice already myself and i'm seeing them everywhere! so good :)

briarrose said...

Oh my.....it all looks just wonderful. The peppermint bark cookies are so pretty. I need ginger cookies....need them! Serious ginger/gingerbread craving going.

Biz said...

Thanks for the amaretto butter ball cookie recipe! My MIL makes a similar cookie and my husband was just talking about it last night.

I'll have to make them for him this year.

Hugs!
Biz

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Everyone always does the favorite cookie list but what about the favorite bar list!? :)
~ingrid

teresa said...

i want one of each, YUMMY!

chow and chatter said...

wow I am telling you Americans make the best cookies yum

Hanaâ said...

Everything looks finger-licking good! My most recent post on my blog is about Rugelach. It's my first Rugelach. Very tasty! Check it out.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Judy, what a lovely selection of cookies. I've intrigued by the chocolate bark ones. They are so sophisticated.
Sam

Katrina said...

Nice cookie round up!

Anonymous said...

These are impressive articles. Keep up the sunny handiwork.

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said...

I am soooo drooling right now!! Christmas cookies are just my favorite and these al look amazing!

Rita said...

They are all very tempting! Great photos;can almost taste them.
Wishing you all the best for 2012,
Rita

Katy ~ said...

Such a selection! I must try the fig cookies, an all time favorite with me.

Wishing you the best for 2012!

Used-Cooking-Oil said...

Holy gauccamole those treats look good! Great selection hope they are more sugar than Fats Oils and Grease from used fryer oil to your stomach, that'd be mighty good!