Monday, March 7, 2011

PRODUCT REVIEW: BARLEANS ORGANIC LEMONADE FLAX OIL

003 Barlean’s is the only flax oil I ever buy.  It’s organic, fresh-pressed, high-quality oil.  Flax oil is rich in omega-3 fat, a type of essential fatty acid that our bodies cannot manufacture and can only be obtained through dietary sources like flaxseed oil, wild ocean fish, wild game, grass fed livestock and fish oil.  Omega-6 fat, which tends to be inflammatory, is found in grain-fed livestock, vegetable oils, many processed foods and most animal fats like butter, sour cream, cream cheese and milk.  Ideally, we should decrease our omega-6 consumption and increase our omega-3 intake.  Adding flax oil to your diet helps to do that. 

I spoon some flax oil over my morning oatmeal, though you can just take it straight off the spoon or, for that matter, buy gelcaps.  Two brand new flavors are available for Barlean's bottled flax oil:  lemonade and cinnamon, to appeal to kids or adults who want more flavor.  I was neutral on the taste of flax oil before, but now I look forward to my daily tablespoonful because the lemonade flavor is so delicious.

005

You can purchase Barlean’s at your local health food store, or online.  It comes in a 12 oz. bottle that needs to be refrigerated.  Each bottle has a freshness date.  Once opened, a bottle should be consumed in 8 weeks for optimal potency.

Full disclosure:  No one asked me to do this review, and I am not receiving any compensation from Barlean’s or anyone representing Barlean’s.  I just happen to love this product and want to share it with all of you.

3 comments:

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I have never used flax oil but I have heard it's really good for you.

Dianne said...

Hi Judi - your oatmeal looks yummy_ I usually take 1 x teaspoon of flax-seed oil on my salad each day but have never seen the Barlean label here. Is that blueberries in the dish?
xx
"All Things French"

Judy said...

Dianne, they're cranberries.