Wednesday, June 8, 2011

THE NEW ALL-AMERICAN POTATO SALAD

potato salad (2)

Sometimes a small tweak is all you need to change a great recipe to a really great recipe.  My go-to potato salad is a real crowd pleaser.  I’ve tried others, but it’s the one I keep going back to.  The warm sliced, cooked Idaho potatoes are marinated in a dressing of vegetable oil, cider vinegar, salt, pepper and onions.  When cooled, they’re mixed with sliced celery, chopped hard-boiled eggs and mayonnaise mixed with light cream. 

 Here’s what I did:  I used Yukon Gold potatoes.  Instead of cooking the potatoes whole and then peeling them when they’re cooked and still hot, I peeled them BEFORE cooking them, and cut them into cubes.  They cooked a lot faster (about 8 minutes, vs. 20-25 minutes) and I didn’t burn my fingers from peeling hot potatoes.  I used extra-virgin olive oil and white balsamic vinegar in the dressing instead of the usual vegetable oil and cider vinegar.  I chopped the celery instead of slicing it, and added the mayo straight instead of diluting it with cream. 

The transformation was nothing short of amazing.  Hubby and I couldn’t stop raving over this potato salad.  This is the way I’ll be making it from now on.

What a perfect accompaniment to our steak dinner, along with some sauteed beet greens.
potato salad

THE NEW ALL-AMERICAN POTATO SALAD
Rating:  10 out of 10
Click for
PRINTABLE PAGE

INGREDIENTS:
3 medium-size Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, chopped
1/2 tsp. sea salt or kosher salt
2 Tbsp. Colavita extra-virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp.  Colavita white balsamic vinegar
1/2 medium-size onion, chopped fine (about 1/3 cup)
3/4 tsp. sea salt or kosher salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/3 – 1/2 cup lite mayonnaise (Hellmann’s or Duke)
2 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and diced
1/2 cup diced celery

Cover potatoes with water  in 2-quart pot.  Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt and bring to low boil over medium heat.  Cook about 5 minutes, or till potatoes are fork tender.  Drain; cool slightly and return to pot.  Prepare dressing:  Combine oil, vinegar, chopped onion, salt and pepper in a jar with a screw top.  Cover jar and shake to mix. Pour over warm potatoes and toss to mix well.  Cover pot and refrigerate for several hours or overnight to blend flavors and cool potatoes thoroughly.   Just  before serving:  Stir in mayonnaise, diced eggs and celery, and toss lightly.  Line a salad bowl with Boston lettuce, if desired, and fill bowl with salad.  Sprinkle top with paprika and serve.  Yield:  6-8 servings

7 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Love the transformations in this salad Judy. Yukon golds are fabulous, but so hard to find for me for some reason. Even in Florida you have to buy a whole bag. When will the grocery stores realize how wonderful these potatoes are? Perhaps that should be my new cause....
Sam

Diane said...

I love potato salad will try this one. Diane

Barbara Bakes said...

Sounds like some great changes. I especially love the 5 min. cook time.

Judy said...

Sam, We're lucky here. Our local Harris Teeter sells bulk potatoes, including fingerlings and Yukon Golds. Great for senior couples who don't use a lot of potatoes. If you have a Harris Teeter close by, check it out.

Carolyn said...

Sounds and looks so good! I have to try this one. Thanks!

Homeowner Insurance

Penny said...

Hi Judy, So glad you stopped by. I love your blog and your potato salad recipe. Will give it a try when we get back from Alaska.

Diane said...

Hi Judy, re my camera. I have a very cheap supermarket special which I use on auto. Occasionally I use the zoom to try and pick up something closer but it does not always catch close objects clearly. It was all I could afford. I would love to have an expensive camera with a macro but unless I win the lottery it will never happen :-) Diane