Tuesday, March 20, 2012

OATMEAL-COCONUT CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS WITH COCONUT-PECAN STREUSEL

coconut muffins
Here I am, posting another muffin recipe.  They’re still my go-to dessert because they’re easy to “healthify.”  Muffins don't need frosting, and it’s easy to cut sugar and fat and add good fats along with whole grains.  Yep, for me, the muffin is king. 
coconut muffins (4) There’s plenty of fiber in this muffin from white whole wheat flour, coconut flour, oats, coconut and pecans.  The sugar is reduced, and coconut oil is used in place of butter.  These have great complex flavor from all those ingredients, and the fiber makes them satisfying.  What's not to like?

Oatmeal-Coconut Chocolate Chip Muffins with Coconut-Pecan Streusel
Adapted from Quaker Oats
Rating:  9.5 out of 10

Click for PRINTABLE PAGE
Streusel:
1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
2 Tbsp. coconut flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill.)
1/3 cup sugar (I used 1-1/2 tsp. Nu Naturals Stevia + 3 Tbsp. sugar)
1/8 tsp. Morton kosher salt
3 Tbsp. unrefined coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
1/4 cup toasted chopped pecans
1/4 cup sweetened dried coconut

In medium bowl, combine flours, sugar and salt.  Stir in coconut oil with fork, or mix with fingers, till well distributed and clumps form.  Stir in pecans and coconut.  Set aside.

Muffins:
1-1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup UBAP + 1/4 cup white whole wheat)
1 cup old-fashioned oats, uncooked
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. Morton kosher salt
2 Tbsp. water + enough nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt to equal 2/3 cup
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup unrefined coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
1 large egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Heat oven to 350F.  Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray, or use paper liners; set aside.  In large bowl, whisk together flour, oats, chocolate chips, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, honey, oil, egg and vanilla. 

Pour liquids over dry ingredients and mix lightly with a spoon or spatula till just barely combined.  Do not overmix.  Divide batter evenly among the 12 cups, using about 1/4 cup for each.  Use a generous tablespoon of streusel for each muffin.  Bake about 18 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted near center returns with just a few crumbs.  Cool in pans 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to finish cooling.  Yield:  12 muffins
coconut muffins (3)

7 comments:

Diane said...

Just looking at the photo made my taste buds explode!!! Diane

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

I rarely make cupcakes but I do make muffins, usually, once a week. These look like they would make a great addition to my already long and delicious list. There is always room for another yummy muffin.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

These look so delicious! I didn't know there was coconut flour - I'll have to see if my local grocery store carries some. What a great combination of flavors in these!

lisa is cooking said...

I have some extra coconut flour I need to use, so these are just in time! And, I've been having streusel cravings lately. I need to make these.

teresa said...

oh these look just delicious! i love all the flavors going on!

Claire @ Blueberry Muffins said...

Oatmeal-coconut combination, sounds intriguing. Can't wait to try this recipe. Happy baking!

Rita said...

These must taste heavenly; love to add streusel on my muffins; makes them special.
Rita