Saturday, February 23, 2008

APRICOT-ALMOND BISCOTTI

I've been wanting to use a recipe that's made its rounds on the internet, "Double Almond Biscotti." It was developed by Pam Simmons' test kitchen in response to consumer requests and it became a favorite in her office. But, alas, when I looked in my cupboard, I came up short. I had a half can of almond paste in the fridge, and the recipe called for 7 oz.; 4 egg whites were needed, and my eggs were getting low; and I didn't have any slivered almonds. I was too lazy to make a run to the store. And besides, when am I ever going to use up these leftovers I have? I decided to forge ahead and make modifications. The result was Apricot-Almond Biscotti, and they're pretty good. They have a distinct almond flavor and the apricots blend nicely with the almonds.
Apricot-Almond Biscotti
INGREDIENTS: 4 oz. almond paste
1-3/4 cups flour (I used 1 cup all-purpose and 3/4 cup whole wheat)
1/2 cup sugar (I used 1 Tbsp. Stevia in place of the sugar)
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into small pieces)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1/2 cup whole almonds, toasted
1/2 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped

Glaze: 1/2 cup white chocolate (from chips or bar)
1 Tbsp. butter

DIRECTIONS: Heat oven to 325F with oven rack in center. Take 2 large cookie sheets and stack one inside the other (the double sheets help prevent biscotti from burning). Line top cookie sheet with parchment paper, or lightly grease. If needed, grate almond paste on large-hole side of a box grater. (My almond paste was soft, so I didn't need to grate it.)

Fit a 7-cup or larger food processor with a metal blade. Add almond paste, flour, sugar, butter baking powder and salt. Pulse until mixture has texture of small crumbs. Add eggs, flavorings and nuts and pulse a few times, then add apricots and pulse till apricots are chopped and dough is well mixed.

Transfer dough by large spoonfuls onto baking sheet, making two "logs," approx. 2" x 10" each, 3" apart. Flatten the logs gently with your hands until they are 1/2 to 3/4" thick. Bake 35 minutes, or until golden, set and starting to crack open. Transfer double cookie sheets, with biscotti still on them, to wire rack to cool (about 1-1/2 hours).

When completely cool, slice into 3/4" pieces, on a diagonal or straight, as you prefer. I cut mine straight this time. Use a serrated knife. Return the pieces to the doubled cookie sheet, cut side down. You can put them right next to each other this time. Bake for 25 minutes at 325F, or until slightly golden. (For softer textured biscotti bake 2-3 minutes less; for drier biscotti bake 2-3 minutes more.) Cool completely. These freeze well. Yield: 32 medium sized biscotti

If desired, dip one end of biscotti in melted chocoate mixed with butter. Here's a photo of the dough ready to go in the oven:

Here's a photo of the baked biscotti, before they are cut:

No comments: