Wednesday, May 7, 2008

BASIL AND PESTO HUMMUS -- AND MAYBE A DIP

A neighbor gave us some of his homemade basil pesto. I like pesto, but I am not a pesto-nut. I particularly like pesto mixed with mayo as a sandwich spread. Guy does not like pesto on his pasta, and I have to say it doesn't send me into ecstasy either. So I've been looking for ways to use up this very nice gift; hence this recipe. This is not my favorite hummus (olive hummus and sun-dried tomato hummus are my two faves), but this is not bad and I'll make it again. I think a nice veggie or cracker dip could be had by adding about 1 cup sour cream to this hummus along with some more pesto for zip.

Basil and Pesto Hummus
1 cup garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
2 Tbsp. basil pesto
1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp. lite soy sauce
2 Tbsp. lite sour cream
2 Tbsp. tahini
1/8 tsp. sea salt
dash black pepper

Combine all ingredients in work bowl of food processor and pulse till well combined. Scrape down sides and continue to pulse till mixture is creamy. Add some water if it's too stiff.
Yield: 1-1/3 cups

For dip, add another cup of lite sour cream to the hummus along with 2 more Tbsp. of pesto.



No comments: