Wednesday, September 2, 2009


The next time you're in a peanut butter-chocolate mood, try these bars. They're fudgy, chewy and a little gooey and you won'tbe disappointed. The original recipe is from Taste of Home, titled "peanut butter cake bars." The photo looked good, but I didn't want a cakey bar. I wanted a chewy, gooey bar, and I wanted peanuts as well as peanut butter. So I made changes to ensure that I would get what I wanted.
First I added a bit of molasses to the sugar; next, I subbed white whole wheat flour for half of the all-purpose; I added 1-1/2 cups of chopped salted peanuts and subbed 5 oz. of peanut butter chips for the milk chocolate chips. Lastly, I added 1/2 cup of Hershey's syrup. And these bars are the bomb! Great flavor, great texture and worth making.

If you want to make them less harmful, sub Smart Balance 50/50 butter blend for the butter; sub stevia (or sugar substitute of choice) for part or all of the sugar; use whole wheat, white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose flour.

Peanutty Peanut Butter-Chocolate Bars
Adapted from Taste of Home/Charlotte Ennis, Lake Arthur, NM
Rating: 9 out of 10

INGREDIENTS: 2/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup smooth peanut butter (I used Jif)
2 cups sugar + 2 tsp. molasses
4 large eggs
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1-1/2 cups chopped salted peanuts
5 oz. peanut butter chips
5 oz. milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup Hershey's chocolate syrup

Heat oven to 350. Grease a 9" x 13" baking pan; set aside. In a large bowl, cream butter, peanut butter, sugar and molasses till smooth, using medium-low speed of mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in peanuts and chips. Spread into greased pan. Spoon syrup over top of batter; cut in with knife or spatula and swirl. Bake 45-50 minutes, or till toothpick inserted near center returns almost clean. Cool in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield will depend on size of bars. You should get about 2 dozen.


Trish said...

Oh my...these dooooo look good...great shots too

Chow and Chatter said...

heres your recipe, thanks again


Lynda said...

These do look so gooey and delicious! I'll try these next time I want something decadent!

Sophie said...

Ooooh,...these bars look so decadent & so goeyie,...

Yummie!! Marvellous & lovely bars!!

matthew.corway said...

those look so good. i love the healthy alternative options.

Valerina said...

Whoaa! Judy these look dangerous! And I want them as harmful as possible. :)

Debbie said...

Oh my oh my, these look awesome. Wish I had one right now!

Janice said...

These look just 'tooooo' good. I have some peanut butter left from the cake I made for my DH's birthday, I might just have to use it up making these :)

Coleen's Recipes said...

These look dangerously delicious!!

teresa said...

mmmmm, i could eat a whole pan of these!

Cinnamon Girl aka Reeni♥ said...

What decadent treats these are Judy! So scrumptious! Your changes are great!

Marge said...

These look soooo good!!! Thanks for the recipe.

Claire said...

To die for! =)

Katrina said...

Whoa, those do look heavenly!