Monday, December 6, 2010

PINEAPPLE STUFFING

pineapple stuffing (2)
Many years ago, my friend, Poppy, served us this wonderful stuffing with a ham dinner.  So enamored with the stuffing was I that I asked her for the recipe, and she was happy to oblige.  I cut the sugar in half, and we find it plenty sweet, but feel free to add more sugar if you like things uber-sweet.  I also added slightly more pineapple, and instead of using all canned, some of it was freshly cut.  Admittedly, it’s not your usual stuffing, but it goes perfectly with ham.  And everyone -- even fussy hubby --  seems to like it.

I covered the stuffing for the first 20 minutes, then took the cover off to let the stuffing brown and crisp up.  I had no problem finding someone who would take the leftover stuffing home, and I was thereby saved from carb overload.  Surely, I would have eaten it all, it's that good.

Pineapple Stuffing
Adapted from Poppy Reynolds
Rating:  9.5 out of 10
Click for PRINTABLE PAGE
INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup (1 stick) very soft butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
3 eggs, whisked lightly
1 cup crushed pineapple with juices
1 cup fresh pineapple, cut in small chunks
8 cups firm white bread, cut in cubes, baked @250F for 1/2 hour and cooled

Heat oven to 325F.  In large bowl, cream butter and sugars.  Add whisked eggs and beat well.  Fold in pineapple with juices and bread cubes.  Spoon mixture into buttered baking dish and bake, covered, for 15-20 minutes, then uncovered for an additional 25– 35 minutes, or till top is nicely crunchy and golden brown and everything is cooked through.  Serve with ham.  Yield:  8-10 servings

7 comments:

briarrose said...

Wow...I've never had pineapple stuffing. Wonderful side dish for ham no question.

Anonymous said...

My mother~in~law gave me a very similar recipe years ago bc they made it every Christmas... it's now a staple at our Christmas table alongside the ham. Thanks for sharing! Have a great start to your week!

MelindaRD said...

This is one I would never have thought of...ever...and it sounds great. I love pineapple.

teresa said...

ooooh, this makes me want to buy a ham just so i can try this stuffing!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

I have never thought of pineapple stuffing but I can see how it would pair lovely with ham...yum!

Lorrie said...

My sister in law gave me this recipe back in the 70s, if you can believe it--and I've been making it for just about every holiday, including Thanksgiving, Easter and Christmas, ever since. No one ever seems to get tired of it! However, I do not put in brown sugar nor fresh pineapple and simply bake it at 350 for approx 45 mins. in a 1 1/2 qt. greased casserole, and I save the juice and add more bread cubes (I buy pre-bagged cubes as well as make my own)and add more bread and more juice to stretch this. Can't mess it up. Just be sure it is somewhat 'set' in the middle and nice and brown on top. YUM.

Judy said...

Lorraine, Thanks for your comments. I love this recipe, but as a pre-diabetic, it's not the best thing for me to eat -- hence, my tweaks of less bread, less sugar.