Friday, December 3, 2010

RASPBERRY WALNUT CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIES

crispy chewy ccc (3)
Ever in search of the ultimate, perfect chocolate chip cookie, I experimented with raspberry flavors.  No, this is not the ultimate – at least not for me.  I like a slightly thicker cookie.  This one is thin with crispy edges and chewy centers.  But, while it may not be my ultimate, it comes close and is one addictive little bugger.
My experiment started with a chocolate find:  Chocolove “Raspberries in Dark Chocolate.”  The 3.2 oz. bar has 55% cocoa content.  Freeze-dried raspberry pieces are  enveloped in Belgian dark chocolate crafted from African cocoa beans.  Very yummy chocolate this is.
crispy chewy ccc (4)
I worked off a recipe I found on zaiqa.net, a Canadian website.  Instead of using their vanilla and semi-sweet chocolate chips,  I used raspberry liqueur and a chopped up bar of Chocolove Raspberries in Dark Chocolate.   (TIP:  You can buy inexpensive “nips” at your local liquor store to use for baking.)
038 This is a great cookie, and I’m loving the raspberry flavors, even though they’re mild. 
A note about the baking temperatures:  I thought 375F was incorrect, so I baked 6 cookies at 350F and 5 cookies at 375F.  The ones baked at 375F were crispier on the edges, yet were still chewy inside.  So 375F is the correct temperature. 
Raspberry Walnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Inspired by zaiqa.net
Rating:  8.5 out of 10
Click for PRINTABLE PAGE
INGREDIENTS:  3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 (3.2 oz.) bar Chocolove Raspberries in Dark Chocolate, chunked (about 2/3 cup)
1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts
1 large egg
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 tsp. raspberry liqueur
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted, cooled slightly

Heat oven to 375F.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.  In large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugars; stir in chocolate and walnuts.  Make a well in center. 

In small bowl, whisk together egg, oil, liqueur and melted butter till smooth.   Pour into well of dry ingredients.  Using a spatula or spoon, mix until dough forms.  Using an ice cream scoop, drop dough onto parchment paper, leaving several inches between each to allow for spreading.  Bake 11-13 minutes, or till cookies are browned on edges.  Cool in pan 5 minutes, then transfer cookies to a wire rack to completely cool.  Yield:  11 (3-1/2”) thin cookies 
crispy chewy ccc


13 comments:

Anna said...

I love that idea! Are you going to keep working on it until it's the "ultimate" or are you going to move on? Making the cookies a little thicker should be easy.

Judy said...

Anna,I may, because I love the flavor of this cookie. The raspberries really add a different and pleasant flavor profile.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Judy, you out did yourself.

Great tip on the airline bottles of booze!

briarrose said...

What a neat recipe. I so wanted a nip off the raspberry chocolate bar. ;)

Diane said...

Mmmmmm that makes me hungry. Diane

teresa said...

raspberries and chocolate! what a delicious combo, love these cookies!

Kerstin said...

What a perfect way to use up that yummy chocolate bar!

Velva said...

Beautiful!!! A perfect holiday cookie too.

Dimah said...

These look fabulous!
Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the kind comment!

Lorraine said...

Raspberries in chocolate sounds delicious, in a cookie even better:)

MelindaRD said...

They looks great, as usual. I bet they smelled heavenly too.

Nutmeg Nanny said...

These look great! I actually have that exact chocolate bar hanging out in my freezer :)

Anonymous said...

waiting for next post