Sunday, September 9, 2007

ALL-AMERICAN POTATO SALAD


This is an old recipe I think from 1976. Woman's Day Magazine or Family Circle, if my memory is working, had a removable insert entitled "All-American Recipes" or something like that. 1976 was the year of America's bicentennial and magazines were covering homes decorated in red, white and blue and publishing patriotic-type recipes. The parade on July 4, 1976, in our little town of Long Valley, NJ, was memorable, since our friend (who was also the mayor) built a "train" that he could trail on his International Harvester tractor. I made a Colonial dress and hat, made Colonial costumes for my two boys and we rode in the train in the parade. This wonderful recipe is a product of the bicentennial hoopla. You won't be disappointed if you make it -- it always brings rave reviews. My changes are noted below. The recipe, as is, says it yields 6 servings. All I can say is they are very big eaters, those 6. We are little people and we eat smaller portions, I guess, because this recipe is enough for us when we have a crowd. If I make it just for us, I halve it and it lasts us for a week.

ALL-AMERICAN POTATO SALAD

INGREDIENTS: 6 medium-size baking potatoes (recipe calls for Maine or Long Island)
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I use Smart Balance)
1/4 cup cider vinegar (don't substitute other vinegars)
1 medium-size onion, chopped
2 tsp. salt (recipe calls for 2-1/2, I reduced it and I use only sea salt)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley (recipe does not call for parsley)
3/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing (I use Smart Balance mayo)
1/4 cup fat-free half and half (recipe calls for light cream)
3 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and diced
1 cup thinly sliced celery

DIRECTIONS: Scrub potatoes and place in large pot with enough water to cover. (I have an electric egg cooker for the eggs, but sometimes I just put the eggs in the
pot with the potatoes --at the top of course, but covered with water-- and
leave the lid off til the water comes to a boil, then set the timer for 7
minutes, scoop the eggs out and put the lid on the potatoes to finish cooking.)
Bring water to a boil, then reduce slightly to maintain a low boil, and cover
potatoes. Check potatoes after 15 minutes by piercing with a fork. When
fork enters potato easily, potato is done. They may not all be done at the
same time, so remove the potatoes as they are done and place on a wire rack
to cool. If you let them stay in too long they could get mushy, so watch them
carefully. While potatoes are cooling, prepare dressing: Combine oil,
vinegar, chopped onion, salt and pepper in a jar with a screw top. Cover
jar and shake to mix. Peel and slice the potatoes into a large bowl when
they have cooled enough to handle -- but don't let them cool completely.
Add the chopped parsley. Pour the dressing over the potatoes and parsley,
toss to blend well, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 3 hours, or
until serving time. I have prepared up to this point the night before.) Just
before serving: whisk mayo with half and half in a small bowl until smooth;
pour over potatoes, and toss to coat. Add peeled diced eggs and celery and
toss lightly. Line a salad bowl with Boston lettuce, if desired, and fill bowl
with salad. Sprinkle top with paprika and serve.

Here's a photo of the halved recipe -- you can see the little jar I used for
the dressing. The dressing has just been poured over the potatoes. I
added the parsley later.





No comments: