Saturday, October 20, 2007

AVOCADO-PESTO SANDWICH SPREAD

As a borderline diabetic, I have to watch my carbs. Looking at a day as a whole, high glycemic foods are at a minimum, including breads. So I rarely have a sandwich for lunch. This morning, I had kiwi and fresh pineapple and an egg omelet with roasted red peppers and spinach and a sprinkling of grated Parmesan -- no bread. My dinner was grilled Cornish game hen, herbed butternut squash and a small salad. Snack was whole wheat crackers and Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar cheese. No desserts today. So for lunch I splurged and had a sandwich. My bread was Peppridge Farm Honey Flax 100% whole grain, lightly toasted. I laid out the components of the sandwich, as in below photo. (The roasted peppers are not shown because I thought of them later and put them in.)
A very nice neighbor gave us his homemade basil pesto (in return I gave him some cookies which he appreciated.) I don't make pesto, because Guy is a finnicky eater and his mother didn't make pesto; therefore, he doesn't eat pesto. To him that makes sense and after 44 years of marriage, I have learned to live with it. So I really appreciated the gift of pesto. This is too simplistic to call it a recipe, but here goes: I used about 1 Tbsp. avocado, mashed and added about a teaspoon of pesto and about 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise (I use Smart Balance mayo). I whisked it with a fork. Then I spread it on one side of the toast, as below.
We had London Broil two nights ago, and there was some left, so that was the main protein. (Chicken, turkey, salmon or roast pork would also be nice.) Tomatoes, lettuce, and roasted red peppers finished it out. It was a delicious sandwich, and I enjoyed every morsel.

No comments: