Thursday, January 17, 2008

EMERIL'S SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS WITH APPLES, ONIONS AND CABBAGE

Guy and I both liked these pork chops -- cooked this way, they were tender and the cabbage was delicious with the onions and apples. The only thing I would change is the amount of salt used and the amount of "Essence." The flavors were too strong for me in the amounts that Emeril uses; the amount of salt in the recipe below is 4 tsp. plus the salt that's in the Essence and the salt that's in the broth. My blood pressure goes up just typing that. (Also, I recommend using sea salt because it has minerals. I actually know someone who had trouble with her blood pressure levels until she switched to sea salt.) I posted Emeril's amounts below with my recommendations. If you like strong flavors and heavy salt, then keep to the amounts that Emeril suggests. I will make these chops again; it's a good recipe.

Emeril's Smothered Pork Chops with Apples, Onions and Cabbage
INGREDIENTS: 4 double cut pork chops (I used thick cut)
2 tsp. Essence, recipe follows (I recommend reducing to 1 tsp. for 4 chops)
2 tsp. kosher salt (I recommend reducing to 1 tsp. for 4 chops; Essence has salt in it)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into thick wedges
2 cups thinly sliced onions
3 lbs. savoy or napa cabbage, shredded or thin sliced (1 head) (I used regular green cabbage)
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup Calvados (Calvados is a French apple brandy; I used Bols Triple Sec because that's
what I had)
1/2 tsp. caraway seeds (I didn't have any, so these were eliminated)
2 bay leaves
2 tsp. salt (this is for the cabbage; I recommend reducing to 1 tsp.)
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. freshly chopped thyme leaves
1 tsp. freshly chopped marjoram (I didn't have any, so this got eliminated)

DIRECTIONS: Season both sides of the chops with the Essence and kosher salt. Lightly dredge in the flour.

Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over high heat. Add the chops, 2 at a time, and cook until lightly browned, about 2 minutes per side. Remove the chops and transfer to a platter. Repeat with remaining chops; set aside.

Reduce the heat to medium-high, and add the apples and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the apples and onions are golden brown, 3-4 minutes. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, Calvados, caraway seeds, bay leaves, salt, pepper and herbs. Cook uncovered until sauce comes to a boil. Add the chops; cover; reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the pork chops are fork-tender, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

Serve the pork chops with the cabbage and pan juices.

Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast)
2-1/2 Tbsp. paprika
2 Tbsp. salt
2 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 Tbsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp. dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly. Yield: 2/3 cup

Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking," by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William Morrow, 1993.

No comments: