Wednesday, May 21, 2008

SARA'S CORN SALSA

My friend and neighbor, Sara, is from Thailand and makes wonderful Thai food. She also makes great salsa and always brings us a container. I don't eat it because I don't eat raw onions. So, when she found that out, she made me my own salsa without the onions. This salsa is so good, I can't stop eating it. I even drink the juice. The flavors are perfect, with just enough heat and a good balance of ingredients. I don't like cilantro, but in this salsa, it's perfect and I like it. When I asked Sara if I could post the recipe on my blog, she gave me a copy of the recipe which she adapted from Southern Living. The original recipe is for grilled corn and contains cumin, neither of which she uses. At some point, I want to try the original recipe and compare; but for now, I can't imagine anything better than this.

Sara's Corn Salsa
3 ears fresh corn, cooked, kernels cut off
1 large sweet onion, chopped (or leave out if you don't like raw onion)
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 jalapeno peppers, minced
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2-3 Tbsp. lime juice

COMBINE all ingredients in a large bowl; cover and chill 2 hours or up to 2 days. Yield: 5 cups.

No comments: