Sunday, November 7, 2010

COCONUT-APPLE-CRANBERRY-PECAN OAT CRUMBLE MUFFINS

apple coconut muffins (2) 
Muffins make a wonderful breakfast item, snack and even dessert.  My freezer is always full of several kinds.  This one is almost guilt free, because it’s loaded with fiber, fruit, whole grains, healthful coconut oil, and not much sugar.  Yet it’s moist, tender,  flavorful and sweetly satisfying.  Spread with European butter, one of these muffins is a decadent treat, but I usually top mine with Smart Balance Lite.  You'll get 1 dozen standard-size muffins and 1 dozen minis from this recipe.  They’ll go quickly because they’re really good.
apple coconut muffins
Just in case you don't care about fiber, good fats and less sugar, I've printed the original recipe below and mentioned in parentheses what I did to make the recipe more healthful.
Coconut-Apple-Cranberry-Pecan Oat Crumble Muffins
Adapted from robinhood.ca.com
Rating:  9 out of 10
PRINTABLE PAGE
INGREDIENTS:
Topping:  1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted
5 Tbsp. quick oats
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. butter, melted (I used Smart Balance buttery spread)
Muffins:  2-1/4 cups flour (I used 1/2 cup coconut flour, 1-1/4 cups bread flour + 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour)
1-1/2 cups brown sugar (I used 3/4 cup brown sugar + 3 Tbsp. NuNaturals Stevia)
1 tsp.baking soda
1/2 tsp. fine sea salt
1 large egg
1-1/2 cups yogurt (I used 6 oz. Greek yogurt + enough 2% milk to make 1-1/2 cups)
1 Tbsp. coconut-flavored rum (my addition, optional)
1/2 cup oil (I used 1/2 cup unrefined extra-virgin coconut oil)
2 cups chopped or grated apples (I used Granny Smith)
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1/3 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Heat oven to 450F.  Grease a 12-cup standard muffin tin and a 12-cup mini-muffin tin.  In small bowl, combine topping ingredients; set aside.

In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.  In medium bowl, whisk together egg, yogurt, rum (if using), and oil till smooth.  Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir lightly with spoon or spatula, just till barely mixed. Do not overmix.  Stir in apples, cranberries and pecans.  Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling each almost to the top.  Spoon some of the topping over each, pressing in slightly.  Place in oven and immediately lower heat to 350F.  Bake minis about 12 minutes, standards about 17 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted near center returns with just a few crumbs.  Cool in pans 5 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to finish cooling.  Yield:  12 standard muffins + 12 mini muffins

6 comments:

teresa said...

oh those are lovely. so much goodness packed in a muffin, delicious!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

These muffins have everything and I mean, everything. Wow!

Would you consider linking this to
http://sweetsav.blogspot.com/2010/11/lets-have-lunch-new-linky.html ?

This is my new brunch, lunch and breakfast linky and these muffins are perfect for it.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Gorgeous muffins Judy and so healthy too. I'm not familiar with the unrefined extra-virgin coconut oil. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Love the addition of the rum. Rum makes everything better.
Sam

Nutmeg Nanny said...

So delicious looking! I have two bags of cranberries in the freezer that I have been meaning to use. This is perfect!

Yum Yucky said...

Mmmm! I think I'll need 4.

Anonymous said...

Judy, these look delicious! So good to meet you here... I'm your newest follower and look forward to being a regular reader.