Wednesday, March 16, 2011

HEATH BAR COOKIES

heath bits cookies (3)

Here’s a cookie that’s difficult for me to rate.  Why?  Because it’s not my kind of cookie.  First, they’re too small and thin.  Second, IMHO they are greasy because of too much butter.  And they’re sweet, maybe too sweet for my taste.  One thing I do like about these is their crispy edges.  Here’s the rub:  I took these to a party, and everyone loved them.  They disappeared fast.   That’s why I decided to share them with you. 

heath bits cookies (4)

As I said, these are small and thin and they spread like crazy.   Don’t be tempted to use rounded tablespoonfuls of dough, because your baking sheet will not be big enough to contain the cookie! 
The original recipe, found on simplyrecipes.com, uses chopped Heath bars, but I used Heath milk chocolate toffee bits.  I won’t be making these again, but obviously I’m in the minority here, because these cookies have a big following. 

Heath Bar Cookies
Adapted from simplyrecipes.com
Rating:  8 out of 10
Click for PRINTABLE PAGE
INGREDIENTS:  2-3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 (8 oz.) pkg. Heath Milk Chocolate Toffee Bits, divided
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1-1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla

In medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt and soda.  Add toffee bits and nuts and whisk again; set aside. 

In large bowl, whisk together butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla till smooth.  Gradually stir in flour mixture with spoon or spatula.  Chill dough for 1 hour or longer.

Heat oven to 350F.  Line cookie sheets with parchment.  Spoon dough in small 1” diameter balls (size of large marble) and place 3” apart on cookie sheets.  Bake 10-12 minutes, until edges just start to brown.  Let cool in pans 2 minutes, then transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.  Yield:  about 6 dozen 

5 comments:

Ana Powell said...

And I am very glad you did, they look very crunchy and I loved the addition of walnuts ♥

Diane said...

They look delicious and were obviously popular. Diane

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said...

Ooo I do love heath! I am glad you posted these, thanks :-)

Anonymous said...

They may not be your kind of cookie, but they look like my kind of thing! Thanks for sharing despite your disappointment!

teresa said...

oh these look so good, the flavors sound amazing.