Wednesday, January 25, 2012

GRANDPA’S SAUERKRAUT AND KIELBASA

grandpa's sauerkraut & kielbasa (3)

I don’t know what made me buy a package of kielbasa.  It’s not something I cook or eat.  But there it was in my fridge, waiting to be used.  Since my hubby would be the one eating it, I decided to get his opinion on which internet recipe sounded the best.  He picked this one, and it’s a winner.  It’s so good, in fact, that when I took a bite to taste-test it, I went back for more.  It’s so good that I’m going to buy more kielbasa and make it again. 

The Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce was adapted from Aaron McCargo, Jr., and it’s the perfect accompaniment to this dish.

Grandpa’s Sauerkraut and Kielbasa with Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce, adapted          
Sources:  Food.com and Food Network
Rating:  10 out of 10

Click for PRINTABLE PAGE
INGREDIENTS:
3 Tbsp. butter, cut into 6 pieces
1 medium onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced or grated on a microplane grater
1/2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
3/4 tsp. finely chopped fresh sage, or 1/4 tsp. dried sage
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (Yukon Gold are recommended)
1 (16-oz.) bag refrigerated sauerkraut, including juices
1 lb. beef kielbasa, cut into 1/2” pieces (I used Hillshire Farms)

Heat oven to 225F.  Put cold butter in a large, heavy oven-proof skillet.  Add onion and cook on medium-low heat about 10 minutes, or  till onions are transparent.  Add garlic and sauté 2 more minutes.  Add thyme, sage, black pepper, potatoes, sauerkraut with juices and kielbasa.  Cook on medium-high till heated through.  Cover loosely with foil and bake for 3 hours.  Yield:  3-4 servings   Serve with mustard sauce, recipe below.

Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce:
2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
1/4 cup honey Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp. cayenne
1-1/2 tsp. hot horseradish
pinch of kosher salt
pinch of black pepper

Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl till well combined.
grandpa's sauerkraut & kielbasa

6 comments:

Diane said...

We often have sauerkraut with German sausages, (when I can get them!). I have post marked this recipe it looks delicious. Diane

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Maybe I just haven't had sauerkraut prepared the right way because I don't care for it very much, but your recipe looks wonderful and I'm thinking i would like to try it.

Coleens Recipes said...

I'm with Katherine, I don't think I've ever given sauerkraut a chance, but then I've only ever had it out of a can...your photos are excellent.

teresa said...

oh YUM! my mouth instantly started watering when i saw this dish, delicious!

Delilah said...

I bought some homemade sauerkraut from the Farmer’s Market that I wanted to try. Bought some kielbasa and consulted Pinterest. This was absolutely delicious and so easy to put together on a busy day. The only things I changed was I cooked this in my crockpot and during the last 1/2 hour of cooking I added some cabbage for a one pot meal. Will definitely make again.

Judy said...

Hi, Delilah — So nice of you to leave a comment on my almost defunct blog. And thanks for reminding me of this wonderful dish. It is that time of the year and I could go for some kielbasa and sauerkraut. And thanks, too, for giving me the idea to use my crockpot!