Wednesday, February 22, 2012

CAKE MIX FIXES: JAVA LAYER CAKE WITH MOCHA FROSTING

java cake with mocha frosting (3)
Those of you who are regular readers know that I don’t bake with cake mixes much – hardly at all.  But I can’t resist a good sale.  When a boxed mix is on sale and the store doubles coupons, I just have to buy.  Then I usually have buyer’s remorse at home.  This time, I was determined to turn the cake mix into something special.  It must have worked, because I had more rave comments over this cake than a homemade one.  The caramel-coffee flavors of this cake wowed everyone. 

Java Layer Cake with Mocha Frosting
Rating:  9 out of 10
Click for PRINTABLE PAGE


INGREDIENTS:
1 Pillsbury Moist Supreme Premium Cake Mix Golden Butter Recipe
1/3 cup softened butter
3 eggs
3 Tbsp. plain nonfat Greek yogurt + enough brewed coffee to make 1 cup
1 Tbsp. instant coffee
1 Tbsp. coffee liqueur, such as Kahlua

Heat oven to 350 F.  Spray two 8” or 9” pans with cooking spray or use shortening and a flour dusting. 

On low speed of electric mixer, blend all cake ingredients in a large bowl until moistened.  Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.  Divide batter evenly between pans.   Bake 8-inch round 30 to 34 min. or 9-inch round - 25 to 29 min., or till toothpick inserted near center returns with just a few crumbs.   Cool cake in pans 10 to 15 minutes , then transfer to wire racks lined with clean linen dish towels to cool completely.   The linen dish towels will catch loose crumbs and also keep your cake layers from sinking into the wires.java cake with mocha frosting (8)When cakes are completely cool, frost with Mocha Frosting.  Toasted chopped pecans or walnuts make a nice topping.
java cake with mocha frosting (2)

4 comments:

keshakeke said...

Oh Mrs. Judy This cake sounds and looks so yummy! I love your blog. You make some delicious things. I have been searching for a good black walnut cake recipe and didn't know if you had one to share. I like the layer cake with frosting! I would love to make one, but just am not having any luck finding a good one. I also like to make things easy and use cake mixes that are fixed up! if you have any suggestions I would love to hear. Thank you! Have a great day:)

Diane said...

I bake very seldom, we do not eat a lot of cake (the scales!!) Must say though I would love a slice of this :) Diane

Judy said...

Hi Keshakeke, Yes, I do have a good recipe for black walnut cake. Haven't posted it yet, but now I will get to it. It will be on my other blog, The Bear Cupboard, http://bearcupboard.blogspot.com. That is my local New Bern blog, and I made the cake for a New Bern friend. It's his favorite cake and his grandmother used to make it for him using the black walnuts from her backyard tree.

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

This cake looks and sounds delicious! I know your special touches "took the cake." Thanks for sharing.