Thursday, March 21, 2013

COCONUT LAYER CAKE WITH COCONUT FRENCH BUTTERCREAM FROSTING


What could be more Southern than coconut cake?  This is my own recipe and it's rich and filling, so two 8" layers go a long way.  Expect to serve 12-14 with this moist, tender and tight-crumbed cake that resembles poundcake.

The French buttercream frosting is silky smooth and ultra rich.  If you've never heard of French buttercream, it's a vintage recipe, and it's not hard to make.  Back in the 60's we used to make it with shortening, and we called it "mock whipped cream frosting," but it's so much better made with butter.  Some people call it "custard frosting," because you make a pudding first, then beat it into the whipped butter/sugar mixture.

Everyone has their own idea of what coconut cake should be.  Actually, I like them all, and I'm throwing mine in the ring as another option.  A perfect Easter dessert....I'm just sayin'.  Get the recipe....



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, this is the first Easter we aren't having people over!

But I will definitely book mark this one Judy - it's a show stopper of a cake!

teresa said...

mmmm, i love coconut cake, this is lovely!

Katrina said...

Beautiful cake!

Patricia Palmer aka GrandPat said...

Judy, this looks so good. I shall try it. By the way can you tell me how I can change the photo that I use on my "about me" page? I have looked at the help page and cannot find out how to do that.

Patricia Palmer aka GrandPat said...

Judy, I finally figured out how to change my profile photo. See the comment I posted previous to this one.