Wednesday, November 14, 2007

CINNAMON-WHOLE WHEAT PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

This is my own recipe, but I think I might have used a base recipe to work from, and I don't remember what it was. After yesterday's disaster, I wanted to bake something that I knew would turn out. I've made this recipe before, and it was really good. This time, I subbed half whole wheat flour, and some Stevia Plus for some of the sugar and the results were a little different. The cookies are still very good, but I was disappointed that they didn't puff up and spread like my other cookies. I can't remember what they did last time. Anyway, they're very tender (because of the butter) and the cinnamon and vanilla are nice flavorings with the peanut butter. The Mr. Goodbar is perfect with the peanut butter cookie. All in all, I like this recipe very much, but I am going to try a different one next time just because I like to keep looking. If you don't like whole wheat in your cookies, you can just use all-purpose flour instead. I am adding 2 Tbsp. honey because I think that will compensate for the whole-wheat flour that absorbed moisture.

Cinnamon-Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Cookies

INGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup unsalted butter + 1/4 cup Smart Balance Buttery Spread (or 1 cup unsalted butter)
1 cup sugar + 1 Tbsp. Stevia Plus (or 1-1/2 cups sugar)
2 Tbsp. molasses
2 Tbsp. honey
1-1/4 cups peanut butter
2 large eggs
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour + 1-1/3 cups whole wheat flour (or 2-2/3 cups AP flour)
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 large Mr. Goodbar (8 oz.) + 1/3 cup chocolate chips (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
Cinnamon sugar topping: 1/4 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp. cinnamon

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have all ingredients at room temperature before starting. Line baking sheets with parchment. Chop Mr. Goodbar in small pieces. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in medium bowl till well combined.

Cream Butter till light. Add sugar gradually, then Stevia (if using), molasses, honey, and peanut butter and beat till fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and continue to beat. On low speed, stir in flour mixture, vanilla, Mr. Goodbar and chips, just till combined. Drop about 1 rounded tablespoonful of dough onto prepared baking sheet, flatten slightly and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Continue with remaining dough. Bake 12-14 minutes, till set and cookies test done. Insert toothpick in center of a cookie -- if it returns clean, or with just a few crumbs, they are done. Cool in pan 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack.
Yield: About 5 dozen cookies

No comments: