Wednesday, October 8, 2008

BUTTERMILK BERRY MUFFINS, ADAPTED


Another great recipe from
JoyofBaking.com.
This is a thick batter, and it's loaded with berries. I used frozen and the results were great. I love the texture and flavor of this muffin and love all the berries. Moist, tender and flavorful -- this one's a keeper!
Buttermilk Berry Muffins, Adapted
Rating: 10 out of 10
INGREDIENTS:
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used half bread flour + half whole-wheat pastry flour)
3/4 cup sugar + 1-1/2 tsp. sugar for topping
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt (I used sea salt)
zest of 1 orange (I used 1 packet True Lemon; 2 packets True Orange; 2 tsp. orange zest + 2 tsp. lemon zest)
1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, divided use
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1 large egg
3/4 cup buttermilk (I used 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk + 1/4 cup vanilla nonfat yogurt)
2/3 cup canola oil (I used 1/2 cup applesauce + enough oil to make 2/3 cup)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon and orange zests till well combined. Stir in 1 cup of blueberries and 1 cup of raspberries, mixing till they are well coated with the flour mixture.
In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, applesauce, oil and vanilla till smooth and well combined. With a spatula, fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring only until they are just barely combined. Do not overmix. A few lumps are ok. Using an ice cream scoop, fill each muffin cup almost full of batter.




Sprinkle each muffin top with about 1/8 tsp. sugar. Evenly divide the remaining 1/2 cup of blueberries -- place on top of muffins, pressing in slightly. Bake in center of oven 15-20 minutes, or till toothpick inserted in center returns with just a few crumbs. Cool in pans 5 minutes, then turn out onto rack to finish cooling. Yield: 12 standard-size muffins. These are yummy!

2 comments:

Katrina said...

How do you eat all these muffins you've been baking?! ;)
I think I made these once over the summer. They are good!

Judy said...

Katrina - I always give some to neighbors/friends and put the rest in my freezer. Because I usually cut the sugar and fat and use as much whole grains as possible, I can have one as a mid-afternoon snack if I watch my carbs and calories for the rest of the day. It's chocolate and peanut butter that get me, so those are reserved for special occasions.