Thursday, October 16, 2008

CARROT-FENNEL SOUP, ADAPTED FOR 2



I don't know what it is about carrots, but they sit in my fridge forever. I guess I just forget about them. They're a high-glycemic veggie, and I tend to avoid them, except for making chicken stock and grating them into salads. I buy the little baby carrots, thinking I will eat them, but never do. So there I was with almost a whole bag of baby carrots not eaten. I decided to make this soup. The recipe was on one of those supermarket recipe cards that you find at the end of the aisle. Since I'm a big fan of fennel, I thought I couldn't lose. And I didn't. I cut the recipe in half and it was enough for two servings. This soup is very tasty, and reminds me of pumpkin soup. The real bonus here is that I got rid of my carrots ... that is, until I buy another bag.

Carrot-Fennel Soup, adapted for 2
Rating: 8 out of 10
INGREDIENTS:
1 Tbsp. olive oil
8 oz. bag baby carrots
1/2 fennel bulb, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, chopped
1-1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 tsp. chopped fresh thyme + extra for garnish
pinch of sea salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/4-1/3 cup fat-free half and half (Land o-Lakes recommended; it won't curdle when heated)

Heat olive oil in 2-quart heavy pot; add carrots, fennel and onion and saute' over medium heat for 8-10 minutes, till onion and fennel are cooked and carrots are crisp-tender. Add garlic and saute 1 minute. Add broth, thyme, salt and pepper; turn heat to high and bring to a boil; cover; reduce heat and cook 10-15 minutes to blend flavors and tenderize veggies. Process mixture in food processor or blender until smooth (or blend right in pot with an immersion blender.) Return puree to pot and heat on medium-low. Add half and half. Garnish with thyme sprigs.
Yield: 2 servings

No comments: