Friday, November 14, 2008

BETTY CROCKER'S OVEN-FRIED RANCH CHICKEN, ADAPTED



Betty Crocker's website is where I found this recipe. I thought the idea of baking the chicken in dry cornbread/muffin mix was a good one, since shortening is in the mix and, so I thought, would baste the chicken as it cooked. But I didn't have any mix. So I did some research on the internet and found a recipe for homemade cornbread/muffin mix. The chicken is just ok. And the reason for that is that I wanted fried chicken, and this doesn't taste like fried chicken. It tastes like chicken that's been oven fried with a coating. I remember the days of Shake 'n Bake. It tasted good, but it wasn't fried chicken. Well this is the same. Will I make it again? Probably not. When I want fried chicken, I'll order out.

Betty Crocker's Oven-Fried Ranch Chicken, Adapted
Rating: 5 out of 10
INGREDIENTS:
MARINADE: 1 cup buttermilk
1 package ranch dressing mix
1-1/2 lbs. chicken pieces
Cooking spray

BREADING:
1/2 pouch (half of 6.5 oz.) Betty Crocker cornbread mix (or 1 cup self-rising cornmeal + 2 Tbsp. sugar + 2 Tbsp. Smart Balance buttery spread)
1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/8 tsp. ground red pepper

1. In large resealable food-storage plastic bag, mix buttermilk, dressing mix and chicken pieces. Seal bag. Turn bag several times to coat chicken. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
2. Heat oven to 425F. Spray a baking pan with cooking spray. In shallow dish, mix breading ingredients. (If using homemade cornbread mix, cut Smart Balance in dry ingredients until it resembles cornmeal.) Place chicken, bone-side down, in pan. Lightly spray top of chicken with cooking spray.
3. Bake 35-40 minutes, or till juice of chicken is clear when thickest piece is cut to bone (170F for breasts, 180F for thighs and drumsticks).

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Hey Judy,
I finally made the peanut butter cookies you've raved about and am about to write up the post. Pretty good. They are different and kind of a soft cookie. I like them. I used up Halloween Snickers in them.

Judy said...

Katrina - Thanks for trying them.