Monday, November 24, 2008

CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE EXPERIMENT #1 -- CHOCOLATE CHIPPERS WITH COCONUT FLOUR

On our last trip to New Jersey, I bought some Bob's Red Mill organic coconut flour. And now I have to find ways to use it. The idea of adding fiber to my baked goods interested me since I'm always trying to come up with ways to make sweets more healthful. So I thought I'd start experimenting with chocolate chip cookies. I worked off of the Cook's Illustrated Chewy and Thick Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. I made the cookies oversized -- about 4 oz. of dough for each, and they didn't spread. They came out scone-like, kind of like the Levain copycat cookies. And that's after I squashed the dough down with a fork. You can't stop these guys from rising. I like these about as much as I like the Levains, although they're not crispy on the edges. Instead, they're more like a -- well, scone, like I said. I think I accidentally made a chocolate-chip scone. And did I say I like them? I like them a lot. You might not want to invest in coconut flour, but you should know that it's very good for you: high in fiber and protein, it's also gluten free. It can be used in smoothies; and you should also know that the coconut flour is so mild, it's hardly detectable. That's because it's made from coconut that first has the oil extracted out. Since most of the coconut flavor is in the oil, the remaining "flour" is almost tasteless. We all need to find ways to eat healthier, so consider joining me in my coconut flour experiments. There will be more coming. But back to these cookies -- ahem -- they're all gone -- didn't last long at all.

Chocolate Chippers with Coconut Flour (Experiment #1)
Rating: 9 out of 10
INGREDIENTS:
1 stick unsalted butter, melted, cooled
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar (I used 1-1/2 tsp. Stevia)
1 large egg + 1 large yolk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. coffee brandy or strong brewed coffee
1/4 cup milk
1-1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
heaping 1/4 tsp. baking soda
heaping 1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 cup chocolate chips (I used 20 Hershey Blisses, chopped)
1/3 cup toasted broken walnuts

Preheat oven to 375F. Beat the sugar into the somewhat cooled butter till well combined. You can use a wire whisk for this. There is no need to get out your mixmaster, because the best cookies are made by hand, not by machine. Add the egg & yolk and continue to beat well for a minute or two. You need some exercise anyway, right? Now stir in the flavorings and milk. Combine the dry ingredients, chips and nuts in a separate bowl and mix them together well. Add them to the dry ingredients and mix lightly with a spatula till you can't see flour any more. But don't overmix, please.
Using an ice cream scoop (about 1/4 cup), drop balls of dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, leaving a couple of inches between cookies. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted near center returns with just a few crumbs. They won't seem done, but let the toothpick be your guide, because these are best when they are just a tad underdone, just like a scone, which is what they're like. Yield: 10 big fat cookies (or scones)
P. S. If you can't find organic coconut flour in your local stores, you can purchase it through Amazon using this link: Bob's Red Mill Organic Coconut Flour.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I've never even heard of coconut flour, those look yummy! :)

I've added you to my blogroll Judy, would love it if you add me too ;)

Katrina said...

I'm going to have to look at our health foods store for coconut flour. I don't recall seeing it, but those cookies sure look good and I do love that they are healthier!