Monday, November 17, 2008

INA GARTEN'S PARMESAN-ROASTED BROCCOLI, ADAPTED


The thought of roasting broccoli was never an appealing one for me, until Ina did it. In late October, she was on Good Morning America, and this was one of her recipes. Her recipe feeds a crowd, and I just wanted to try a small amount, plus I wanted snap peas with the broccoli, so I adapted the recipe. The veggies are really great this way. I am a fan of roasting, since it intensifies the flavor of whatever you put in the oven -- and much to my amazement, it doesn't make the broccoli bitter at all. I left out the basil and pine nuts, only because I didn't have any, but I'm leaving them in the recipe below, because I'm sure they'd be wonderful in this dish. The only problem I have with the recipe is that if you put the garlic in with the veggies, you will wind up with burnt, bitter garlic. So IMHO, it's best to add the garlic to the hot veggies. I'm printing an adapted smaller batch recipe below. For the original version, click on the GMA link above.
Ina Garten's Parmesan-Roasted Broccoli, Adapted
Rating: 9.5 out of 10
INGREDIENTS:
1-1/2 cups of broccoli florets and 1 cup Sugar Snap Peas
2 Tbsp. + 1-1/2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided use
1/2 tsp. sea salt
Big pinch black pepper
1/2 tsp. grated lemon zest
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
2 tsp. chopped fresh basil leaves
2 garlic cloves, grated
1 Tbsp. toasted pine nuts
2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 425F. Place veggies on a baking pan in a single layer. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp. oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast 20-25 minutes, until crisp-tender, and tips of broccoli florets are browned.
While veggies are in the oven, prepare vinaigrette: In a small cup, combine remaining 1-1/2 Tbsp. oil with the grated garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and basil.
Remove veggies from oven and immediately toss with vinaigrette, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese. Serve hot.

No comments: