Monday, March 2, 2009

HONEY-LIME BAKED TROUT


A friend of ours is an avid fisherman. He occasionally bestows upon us the benefits of his labor. This time it was trout. If you've never tasted trout, don't hesitate to buy some if it's available fresh in your area. Trout is a delicious white fish, meatier than flounder or sole. I like to think of it as a cross between salmon and flounder, since it's technically a cousin to salmon but has whitish flesh like flounder.
The key to enjoying fish, no matter what species, is to get it fresh. Nothing is worse than 3-day old (or older) fish that has an odor starting to develop. I guess that's why they say overnight guests are like fish: they both start to stink after 3 days. If someone gives you fish they caught, don't save it. Cook it right away for best flavor.
This recipe was perfect for trout; the honey, lime, ginger and cilantro blended beautifully to accent, without overpowering, the mild yet hearty taste and texture of this wonderful fish. And it didn't hurt that it was easy.
Although I baked it in the oven, the original recipe called for grilling. I subbed olive oil for the vegetable oil in the marinade, and reduced the amount. The only other change I made was to bake, rather than grill, the fish.
Honey-Lime Baked Trout
Source: Adapted from lakeontariooutdoors.com
Rating: 10 out of 10
INGREDIENTS: 2 Tbsp. olive oil
juice from 1/2 lime
3/4 tsp. grated lime zest
1 Tbsp. honey
1 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
1-1/2 tsp. grated fresh ginger
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 skinned and boned trout fillets, about 1/4 to 1/3 lb. each.
In medium plastic resealable bag, combine all marinade ingredients except trout. Close bag and massage to distribute ingredients. Rinse and dry the fillets; add to marinade. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour, or up to 2 hours. Heat oven to 400F. Spray a glass baking pan or pie dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place the fish in the pan and pour the marinade over. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or till fish flakes easily when pierced with a knife or fork. Yield: 2-3 servinigs


9 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Judy, I love the honey lime. Do you think this can be used well with mahi mahi?

Judy said...

Donna - We don't eat a lot of mahi mahi in this house, but my best guess is that it would be fine with this marinade.

Cheri Sicard said...

That looks great Judy, I will have to try the recipe.

Here in Big Bear Lake we have beautiful pink fleshed wild trout. My problem comes with fileting them. Every time I have tried, I make a big mess of it and I end up with shredded fish. I do think I need a better knife. And obviously a lot more practice. :)

Also to Donna, I don't see why this recipe wouldn't work with any white fish. You may have to adjust cooking times slightly as Mahi-Mahi usually comes in a thicker cut than the average trout.

Lyndas recipe box said...

I love trout and this looks extra delicious with cilantro!

Elyse said...

Mmm...honey, ginger, lime? Yes, please! I love trout and this trout sounds especially amazing. Did you know, I've been deep sea fishing on the Neuse? I can't say it was a great experience...anyway, the fishing reference made me think of that!

Debbie said...

Your fish looks wonderful Judy. I love the idea of using honey and lime. I could eat fish every night of the week (along with pasta that is!!).

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

As you probably know, over here in the western part of NC we have a lot of trout. Maybe I could trade you some trout sometime for that fabulous shrimp you can get over on your side of the state.
This recipe sounds fabulous and there's nothing better than trout right out of the water. I like the cilantro and ginger you used. You've inspired me to have trout for dinner tonight.
Sam

Maria said...

Honey and lime...great marinade!

Selba said...

Yummmm... this sounds really delicious especially because I love lime and cilantro.