Wednesday, November 18, 2009

APPLE COBBLER

024

With some frozen leftover cobbler dough from my August peach cobbler, I made this delicious apple cobbler to experiment with using nothing but NuNaturals Stevia for the sweetener, but you can make it with regular sugar if you don't like using alternative sweeteners. It wasn’t a big cobbler, since this was just for two of us. I used a small Corning ware square pan, giving us each two servings, enough for two nights of dessert.

022

The cobbler topping resembles a pie crust more than a biscuit dough. I’m not a big fan of biscuit-dough cobblers. Too fluffy for me. We both gave this dessert two thumbs up – way up. But then, we never met an apple dessert we didn’t like.

023


Apple Cobbler Printable Recipe
Source: Cobbler Topping: Adapted from Williams Sonoma
Filling: Judy’s Kitchen
Rating: Cobbler Topping: 10 out of 10
Filling: 8.5 out of 10



Cobbler Dough:
1/4 cup almond meal or finely ground almonds
1 cup flour (I used 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour + 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
3 Tbsp. sugar
7 Tbsp. butter cut into small pieces  (I used Smart Balance 50/50 butter blend)
1 egg yolk
2 Tbsp. Limoncello or plain vodka (or ice water)

In work bowl of food processor, combine almond meal, flours, 3 Tbsp. sugar and salt; pulse to combine, being sure almonds are finely ground. Add 7 Tbsp. butter and pulse till mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Butter pieces should be no larger than small peas. In small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and 2 Tbsp. Limoncello; pour over flour mixture and pulse in quick, short motions till dough pulls together. Do not over mix. Transfer dough to work surface; divide into two pieces. Pat each into a ball, then into discs. Refrigerate, wrapped in plastic wrap, at least 30 minutes. (Freeze for up to 3 months. ) Yield: 2 cobbler doughs

Apple Filling
2 large apples (I used Jonagold)
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup brown sugar (I used 1 Tbsp. Nu Naturals Stevia)
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. butter (I used Smart Balance 50/50 Butter Blend)

Heat oven to 425F. Peel, core and quarter apples. Cut into 1/2” slices. Grease a small pan (I used a small square Corning ware pan), and add the apples; toss with lemon juice, sweetener, cornstarch and cinnamon.  Roll out the pastry to fit the top of the pan; place over apples; crimp edges as desired.

Place pan on large sheet of aluminum foil that can be pulled up over the pan as needed. Place the pan in the foil in a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Leave the foil flat and bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and bake an additional 20-25 minutes, or till apples are tender and bubbling and crust is nicely browned. If crust browns too quickly, pull foil up to cover it. Yield: 4 servings

6 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

Wha a great idea, it sounds delicious and easy to prepare, love that limoncello too!

Velva said...

I love fruit cobblers! This one looks amazing.

yodasmith said...

It look absolutely delish!

Lyndas recipe box said...

I've never met a cobbler I didn't love, so I know this is a winner! Apple happens to be my favorite.

Reeni said...

This is one of my favorites! Looks scrumptious!

Juliana said...

Oh! Te apple cobbler looks delicious with lemoncello...and the ice cream gives the final touch!