Monday, November 23, 2009

FLAKY CREAM CHEESE PIE CRUST, ADAPTED

001
Here’s the recipe I used for my Chicken Pot Pies. I’m also going to use this pie crust recipe for my Thanksgiving pumpkin pie. What I especially like about this recipe is the fact that the dough is firm and doesn’t shrink. The flavor is good, and the crust is flaky and tender. It probably would have been more so had I used all bleached flour. I opted to use half unbleached all-purpose. It was great for chicken pot pies, and I suspect it will also be great for my pumpkin pie. I’ll let you know.
Flaky Cream Cheese Pie Crust (for 9” pie shell)
Adapted from epicurious.com, “The Pie and Pastry Bible,” 1998 Cordon Rose, Inc.
Rating: 10 out of 10
PRINTABLE RECIPE
INGREDIENTS:
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cold
1 cup + 1 Tbsp. pastry flour or 1 cup (dip & sweep) bleached all-purpose flour
(I used 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose & 1/2 cup + 1 Tbsp. White Lily all-purpose)
1/8 tsp. salt (1/4 tsp. for savory recipes)
1/8 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup cream cheese, cold
1 Tbsp. ice water
1-1/2 tsp. cider vinegar

Cut the butter into 1/2” cubes. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze about 30 minutes. Place the flour, salt and baking powder in a reclosable plastic sandwich bag and freeze about 30 minutes. (I also put the work bowl and metal blade of my food processor in the freezer.)

In the work bowl of a food processor with the metal blade, pulse flour mixture a few times to combine. (Save the sandwich bag for the finished dough.) Cut cream cheese into 3 or 4 pieces and add to flour. Process for about 20 seconds, or until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add frozen butter cubes and pulse until none of the butter is larger than the size of a pea. (Toss with a fork to see it better.) Remove the cover and add vinegar and water. (I actually added about 3 Tbsp. water, as 1 Tbsp. just didn’t do it.) Pulse until most of the butter is reduced to the size of small peas. The mixture will be in particles and will not hold together. Spoon it into the plastic bag. Holding both ends of the bag opening with your fingers, knead the mixture by alternately pressing it, from the outside of the bag with the knuckles and heels of your hands until the mixture holds together in one piece and feels slightly stretchy when pulled. Flatten into a disc, reseal the bag and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes, preferably overnight.

Can be refrigerated up to 2 days; frozen, up to 3 months.

17 comments:

Juliana said...

Oh! Pie crust with cream cheese? Must taste really yummie...I think I can have the crust without any filling :-)

Velva said...

The crust on pot pies or fruit pies are my favorite part! This pie crust recipe that you adapted looks really flaky and delicious.

Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

Oh Judy, I have found your blog! Thank you so much for commenting on mine. Come back often.

Valerie Gamine said...

Wow! A crust that doesn't shrink + made out of cream cheese! It sounds too perfect. :) I can't even imagine how wonderful it must be with pupmkin.

chow and chatter said...

looks good I guess the cream cheese is the fat i need to get better at pastry

Coleens Recipes said...

What a unique pie crust. I am anxious to see what you think of it in the pumpkin pie.

real estate in Vancouver said...

Hi. I know this recipe very well. It's absolutely delicious. My wife is used to make it for special occasions. However, she has improved it little bit. I think that she use double amount of cheese. It's very popular in our family. Last time we had also guests who ate it first time and they approved that it's very tasty.
Despite the fact that the Canadian Thanksgiving was few weeks ago I wish you Happy Thanksgiving.

Have a nice day,
Jay

Simply Life said...

Yum I love pot pies -this looks soooo good!

Simply Life said...

Yum I love pot pies -this looks soooo good!

Unknown said...

I love a flaky crust and with cream cheese sounds GREAT!!! and a WONDERFUL!!! recipe for chicken pot pie.
Geri

ann low said...

The pot pies look so delicious :D

Janice said...

That looks so good. I wonder if it would work for my Christmas mince pies?

Judy said...

Susan, I'll definitely be back.
Janice, I'm sure it will work with your mince pies.

Reeni said...

This sounds really delicious Judy, with cream cheese in it. Your chicken pot pies sound good too! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Fresh Local and Best said...

It's quite intriguing to add cream cheese in pie crust, but I can see how it would make for a flakey and tender crust. I'll keep this recipe in mind for future pie making.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

What a great pastry crust Judy. I love your chicken pot pies. Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Sam

Anonymous said...

nice read. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one know that some chinese hacker had busted twitter yesterday again.