Friday, November 13, 2009

BANANA CRUNCH MUFFINS

058


I’m not a huge fan of banana muffins, but these are different. First, they’re light as air, but also tender and moist. The banana flavor is almost not there, and the crunch topping is toffee-like, crispy and tender crunchy. Even though I made these with whole wheat flour, no one could tell. This is definitely a keeper.057

Banana Crunch Muffins Printable Recipe
Source: Judy’s Kitchen
Rating: 9 out of 10
INGREDIENTS: 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp. white whole wheat flour (or all purpose, if preferred)
1/2 cup sugar (or sugar substitute)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/ tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt (I used Stonyfield Farm)
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup mashed very ripe banana
Crunch topping (see recipe below)
Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a 6-cup muffin tin and a 12-cup mini-muffin tin; set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together first 5 ingredients. In a medium microwaveable bowl, melt the butter on high about 30 seconds, covered, or till butter is almost melted. Let it sit in the microwave until it is completely melted, then whisk in the yogurt, vanilla, and egg till very smooth. Add the banana and whisk again till combined. Stir in dry ingredients with a spoon or spatula, and only mix till barely combined. Fill the muffin cups with the batter, using a scant 1/4 cup for standard muffin tins and about a generous tablespoonful for the minis. Top each muffin with some of the crunch topping, and bake about 12 minutes for the minis and about 15 minutes for the standards, or till a toothpick inserted near center returns with just a few crumbs. Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool after they have rested in the pans about 3 minutes.

Crunch Topping: 3 Tbsp. melted butter
1/3 cup quick oats (Do not use instant oats, use the 1-minute)
1/3 cup broken pecans
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbsp. dried sweetened coconut

Combine all ingredients in small bowl using a fork.

052

15 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

I love baked goods with bananas and this muffin sounds wonderful with the crunchy topping!! You still reign as the muffin queen.

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I love the crunch in these muffins. I agree with Donna....you are the muffin queen. So glad you're back too.
Sam

Trish said...

Gosh these look good. Love the crunch that you have made in these. My muffins never seem so good!

Debbie said...

I'm a huge fan of banana muffins and those look great Judy! I'll have to keep this recipe and try it soon...NEVER have enough banana recipes here!

Denise said...

Judy, your pics are awesome and so is this muffin. I have 3 bananas frozen, waiting for me to use them!!!

Coleens Recipes said...

Crunch AND sweet and tender? YES!!!

♥peachkins♥ said...

I love a banana muffin with texture

teresa said...

oooh, i'm in love with that toppping, these look like a wonderful way to start the day!

Reeni said...

I love banana muffins, Judy! The topping looks really delicious!

Lyndas recipe box said...

I am a banana fan so these muffins look especially good! I love the looks of that topping, Judy!

ann low said...

I love banana muffins and this is really good to with a cup of hot coffee.

Simply Life said...

Oh my, these muffins look AMAZING!!!

Anonymous said...

I love all things banana!! This is definitely going on the list of things to make - thanks Judy!

Kerstin said...

What a yummy crunchy topping! I love that you used ww flour too!

Katrina said...

I love all things banana and muffins are my go-to with overripe ones. The crunchy top sounds de-lish.