Friday, January 1, 2010

APPLE-ALMOND-CRANBERRY CRUMBLE MUFFINS

023

Want an excellent muffin recipe? This one bakes up very moist, flavorful, and tender, with nice chunks of apples and whole cranberries. The almonds work in the background, providing more depth of flavor without taking center stage. This muffin is more like a moist apple cake in texture, and everyone who’s tasted it has raved, even my fussy hubby. Really, give this one a try.

020

Apple-Almond-Cranberry Crumble Muffins
Adapted from Robin Hood Company of Canada
Rating: 9 out of 10 PRINTABLE RECIPE
INGREDIENTS:
Topping: 1/4 cup brown sugar (I used 1 tsp. NuNaturals Stevia + 2 Tbsp. brown sugar)
1/4 cup almonds, chopped
3 Tbsp. quick (1-minute) oats
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine, melted (If using unsalted, add a big pinch of sea salt)

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Mix with fork or fingers. Set aside.

Muffins: 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1/2 cup almond meal* + 1 cup AP flour + 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour)
1-1/2 cups brown sugar (I used 3/4 cup brown sugar + 3 Tbsp. NuNaturals Stevia)
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 cups peeled chopped apples (I used 1 large Rome apple)
3/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries, rinsed, picked over, drained & patted dry
1 large egg
1 cup yogurt ((I used Stonyfield Farm plain low-fat)
1 Tbsp. almond liqueur (or 1/8 tsp. almond extract)
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil

Heat oven to 425F. Prepare a 12-cup standard muffin tin and a 12-cup mini muffin tin by spraying with nonstick cooking spray, greasing, or lining with paper cups.

In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; whisk thoroughly; stir in apples and cranberries. In large bowl, whisk together egg, yogurt, almond liqueur or flavoring, and oil. Stir in dry ingredients with spoon or spatula, just till barely mixed. Fill muffin tins with batter and sprinkle some topping over each. Place in oven; close door; turn heat to 350F. Bake standard muffins about 16 minutes, minis about 12 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted near center returns with just a few crumbs.
019 *Finely grind blanched almonds as a substitute for almond meal, being careful not to overgrind and turn them into paste. You can do this in a coffee grinder or food processor. When the almonds are finely ground, measure 1/2 cup for recipe, saving remainder for future use. Place the 1/2 cup ground almonds back in the grinder with 1 Tbsp. of the flour and 1 Tbsp. of the sugar. Grind again to get the almonds finer.

022

21 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

All you have to do is mention almonds and cranberries and I'm sold.

Judy, I hope you have a healthy and happy new year. It's been great getting to know you and I look forward to 2010.
Sam

Janice said...

They look lovely. I wont be baking for a while after the seasonal excesses but will save this for another time.

Velva said...

Your muffins look delightful!

Happy New Year to you!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Judy, I wish you a happy new year. I only recently discovered your site, and I am loving it. Learning to cook has been my hobby over this last year, and I am looking forward to growing into more talented...

You are a big help... thanks, be seeing you around the blog world

Barbara Bakes said...

A muffin that's moist and delicious like an apple cake sounds perfect to me! Bookmarking!

Coleens Recipes said...

My goodness, these sound tasty!! Happy New Year.

Michele said...

These look just fantastic Judy! yum!

Donna-FFW said...

All that goodness in one muffin. I love it! That first photo has me sold. Fantastic shot, Judy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy, thanks for commenting on my beetroot and chocolate muffins before Christmas. How funny that I should pop over when you've been whipping up other muffin treats. I'm going to have to experiment with all sorts of muffin ingredients now that I'm trying to lose weight and will be cutting out sugar. Any suggestions appreciated :o)

Judy said...

Hi nip, So glad you stopped by. Muffins are my usual dessert of choice, though lately I've gone off the track. Muffins are easily made low-fat by subbing 1/2 cup of applesauce for 1/2 cup of the fat and using low- or non-fat dairy ingredients. I usually use NuNaturals Stevia powder for half the sugar, creating a low-sugar dessert as well. No frosting is a bonus feature of muffins, reducing fat and sugar further. Making a muffin that contains fruit, nuts and at least some whole grains adds to the fiber content, creating a full feeling and satisfying you at the same time. Yep, muffins are my #1 dessert. But anything can be overdone. So stick to 1 muffin, preferably in the afternoon, none after dinner. This should help you lose weight.

teresa said...

oh these look just mouthwatering! happy new year!

♥peachkins♥ said...

awesome muffins..Happy New Year,Judy!

chow and chatter said...

oh wow these look awesome

Happy New year

Judy

Love Rebecca

Wendy said...

Oh Judy.... you are tormenting me.... I am on my January diet! I am following your blog so when it's over I shall find this and try it!

New Bern Now said...

Judy,

Wonderful blog! Your recipes should be featured on the Food Network! Keep up the great work!

Wendy

Kim said...

I love the crunchy topping on them. They sound delightful. Thanks for popping by to say hi :D

Simply Life said...

yum! you always have the best looking muffins!

MaryMoh said...

Beautiful muffins...mmmm. I love them. I would love to make them to share with friends. Thanks for sharing.

Juliana said...

Happy New Year Judy! Your muffins look delicious specially with the crunchy topping :-)

Hungry Dog said...

Wow--these sound incredible! I love almonds, apples, and cranberries together. I will definitely hold on to this recipe, as I usually have all of these ingredients on hand. Thanks!

CDC said...

These look and sound amazing!