Friday, January 8, 2010

FONDUTA CRAB MAC 'N' CHEESE



Sauce Magazine is St. Louis' Award winning metro area culinary and entertainment magazine and guide.  It has trendy recipes that are unique and different, and the original recipe for  this mac 'n' cheese was in one of their issues.  It was adapted by Lynsey Lou, another blogger, and I adapted it again. 

One of my pet peeves with crab recipes is that too many people (including chefs) cover over the delicate taste of the crabs with all kinds of heavy ingredients.  I want to taste the crabs.  This recipe allows you to do that.  All the ingredients blend beautifully to enhance, not cover, the crab taste. This is one recipe I will make again and again, and I heartily encourage you to try it. You won’t be disappointed. You can find the recipe On my crab blog..

18 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

This does sure sound good... I have some crab meat in my freezer calling to me for this!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I totally agree that if you over sauce crab you loose the crab. Same thing happens in crab cakes when they put too much breading in them.
A lovely recipe to start the new year.
Sam

George Gaston said...

Judy, this is what one calls, "grown-up" Mac & Cheese! This sounds absolutely delicious.

I, also agree about crab recipes.

Great recipe, thanks...

Judy said...

Year on the Grill, Let me know how it turns out.
Sam, thank you. I knew you would agree, since you're a seasoned cook.

Katy ~ said...

Mac 'n cheese dressed up for a ball. This is elegant!

TKW said...

You have a whole blog dedicated to crab? That's about the coolest thing I have ever heard!

buffalodick said...

I've wanted to make a sweet pepper crab corn chowder we're fond of..must do that soon!

Unknown said...

How delicious. There are few things more comforting than a delicious mac and cheese. I've never had one with crab, but I bet its amazing.

Faith said...

This looks amazing! And I completely agree, I want to taste the lovely flavor of the crab...I'm off to check out the recipe! :)

Linda said...

I agree with you... I love crab and want to taste it... I checked out the recipe and it sounds terrific... I like the blend of cheeses and wine....

grace said...

yeah--if you're gonna include crab in the dish, it must be detectable! if it's not, why bother? i love the ooey-gooey cheesiness of your mac--it's quite decadent!

Simply Life said...

YUM! wow, this sounds amazing!!!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Judy this has my mouth watering!

Velva said...

Crab mac n cheese....A very grown-up version of mac n'cheese dish. Lovely.

Anonymous said...

Interesting!! I have never thought of adding crab to mac and cheese. Looks fab!

Kerstin said...

I'm with you - I want to taste the crab! This looks so good!

Barbara said...

I actually made a lobster mac and cheese recipe of Ina Garten's for a family dinner before Christmas. Everyone was in the kitchen picking the rest of the night! Unfortunately, the lobster flavor did not shine through- although everyone ate every bite of lobster they could find!

Lea Ann said...

This crab mac looks wonderful. I agree with you on overpowering crab meat in recipes. It's just so sweet and unique, why cover it up?