Saturday, April 12, 2008

ORANGE-MUSTARD GRILLED SALMON

I'm not crazy about fish, except for salmon and tuna. I gravitate towards wild-caught salmon because it's not supposed to have mercury. (Farm-raised salmon that has been fed pellets and antibiotics holds no interest for me; our local Harris Teeter offers organic farm-raised salmon, but it can't match the flavor of wild-caught.) I'm always looking for new ways to enjoy salmon. I eat it alone, because Guy prefers crustaceans, and calls them "fish." I told him they're seafood, not fish because they have no fins. He doesn't care, he still calls them "fish." In fact, crustaceans and mollusks are the only types of seafood he really likes, neither of which are fish, and both of which are high in pollutants and should be avoided. But Guy has never been persuaded by statistics or facts, and says that both our sets of parents ate whatever they wanted and lived into their 80's and 90's. So I eat salmon alone. And inspiration hit me this week when I grilled some. This marinade recipe is really good and works well with the mild flavor of salmon. (And, P. S., on the same night, I made a different very good lemon marinade for Guy's wild-caught shrimp. He made it into a "shrimp-ka-bob" with pepper and onions and was a very happy guy.)

ORANGE-MUSTARD GRILLED SALMON

2 Tbsp. Balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp. orange juice concentrate
2 Tbsp. honey mustard (I used French's)
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
2 tsp. minced fresh garlic
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 pinches sea salt and pepper
1 wild-caught salmon fillet with skin on bottom (allow 6 oz. per person because of the skin)

In resealable plastic bag combine all marinade ingredients and massage to distribute well. Add salmon. Close bag and refrigerate for 1/2 hour. Grill, covered, skin-side down, at 400F over a turned-off burner with your other burners providing heat. Allow about 6-7 minutes, turning salmon over midway through cooking time. When you flip it over, the skin will come off. (The marinade is thick, and the recipe above should provide enough for 2 servings, or about 12 oz. of salmon.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks great Judy!
Tell Guy to eat more fish and I'll invite myself over :)
Gary