Sunday, June 8, 2008

LAWSUIT BUTTERMILK BLUEBERRY MUFFINS, ADAPTED

The title of this recipe got to me -- I had to try a recipe that generated a lawsuit. The story goes something like this: Marcy Goldman (The Best of BetterBaking.com), worked for and developed recipes for two bakeries and had to leave the recipes behind when she left both. She decided to take legal action to defend her rights as the person who had worked to create such a great muffin recipe. These muffins are purported to be so wonderful because of their moistness and flavor, and the fact that the recipe base will complement any fruit combination. I had blueberries in my freezer, so they were my fruit of choice. And I had leftover streusel from 3 different recipes also in my freezer, so I used that instead of making more. These muffins are really good; however, 1-3/4 cups of fruit (which is what the recipe calls for) is not enough. I like a lot of blueberries in my muffins, and these were sparse. I made a low-fat, lower-sugar version and used whole wheat flour. I also changed the baking temps, because I always start my oven at 500F and reduce to 350-400F as soon as the muffins go in, for a high, tender muffin. I found this recipe on creampuffsinvenice.typepad.com, but it was an adapted version, so I don't know what the original recipe looks like. If you go to Marcy's website, you'll have to pay for the recipe. BTW, this is a thick batter, so I don't think you'll have trouble with the blueberries staying where you put them. I usually put them on top of the batter after the muffin tins are filled and then just push them in. That's what I did, but the batter is so thick and spongy, you're really better off mixing them right in with the batter before filling the tins. The yield is supposed to be 12, but I got 16 standard-size muffins.


Lawsuit Buttermilk Blueberry Muffins, Adapted
Rating: 9 out of 10
For the Streusel Topping:
1 Tbsp. cold unsalted butter
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts

In a bowl, combine all of the streusel topping ingredients. With your fingers, combine until you have a crumbly mixture. Set aside if using immediately, or store in the fridge.

For the muffins:
2-1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1-1/2 Tbsp. grated lemon zest (or orange, or combination)
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2-1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup applesauce
1-1/4 cup white sugar (I used 3/4 cup sugar + 2 tsp. Stevia)
1 tsp. molasses
2 tsp. lemon juice
1 large egg
1 cup nonfat buttermilk
2-1/2 cups blueberries (This is 3/4 cup more than the recipe calls for.)

Preheat oven to 500F. (Yes, 500, it's not a mistake. Trust me, this works great!) Line 16 muffin wells with paper cups, or spray with flour-added non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients (first 5 ingredients); set aside. In a medium bowl, combine the oil, applesauce, sugar, molasses, lemon juice and egg and beat with a whisk till smooth. Add the buttermilk and beat till smooth. Pour the wet batter into the dry ingredients and just whisk till barely combined. Gently fold in the blueberries with a spatula. The batter should be fairly stiff but spongy. Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling them about 2/3 full. Divide the streusel topping evenly among the muffins. Place in oven and immediately reduce oven temperature to 350F. Bake for 16-20 minutes. Muffins will be done when they spring back when lightly pressed. Or use a toothpick to test for doneness. Let the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes, and then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy you because of your whole effort on this site. Betty really likes managing research and its really simple to grasp why. A number of us hear all of the dynamic manner you give both useful and interesting tactics through the blog and as well as strongly encourage contribution from some others about this subject matter plus our favorite girl is actually discovering a lot of things. Have fun with the rest of the new year. You are always carrying out a really good job.