Monday, September 8, 2008

HAVARTI GRITS

In 2005, my son Jim flew out from San Diego to spend a few days with us. We all ate at a restaurant in Swansboro, NC. I forget the name of the restaurant, but I will always remember the meal. I had fresh tuna on Havarti grits. It was so very good. I've never made grits in my life, and decided it was time I should because I have never stopped thinking about those grits. When I saw Havarti-Dill cheese in the Wal-Mart deli, my brain went into overdrive. I bought a bag of Bob's Red Mill Grits; and ,two nights ago, I made Havarti Grits. I was worried that the dill would overpower, but, honestly, I didn't even know there was any dill in there at all.

Here's the thing about grits: you must keep stirring. If you stop, you will ruin your grits. I didn't use a recipe. I just went off the package instructions, and subbed fat-free half and half for the water. At the end, I plopped in a Tbsp. of butter and added the cheese which I chopped up. Next time, though, I think I will do half water, half milk, just to compare, although I liked these the way I made them. Here's a recipe, but I did have to add more water as they cooked.

Havarti Grits
1 cup fat-free half and half
pinch of sea salt
1/3 cup grits
1 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. (or more) Havarti cheese, chopped
water, as needed

Bring the H&H, salt, and grits to a boil over medium heat in a 1 quart saucepan. Cook on a low boil while stirring, till grits are smooth, about 5-6 minutes, adding water if necessary to keep the right consistency. When grits are cooked and smooth, stir in the butter and cheese; remove from heat; cover to keep warm. Yield: 2 servings

No comments: