Wednesday, June 15, 2011

CURRIED HUMMUS

033

Chick peas have a very low glycemic index, which means they create steady blood sugar and are especially healthful for diabetics.  Curry powder contains curcumin, an antioxidant believed to be anti-inflammatory and anti-carcinogenic.

034

This recipe, published in USA Weekend in 2005, caught my eye because I’m a hummus fanatic and I love curry. 

035

It's so quick and easy and I love the flavor of it so much that it has become my go-to hummus.  If you want a creamier texture, just add more olive oil. 

Curried Hummus
Adapted from Jean Carper, USA Weekend, 2005
Rating:  9 out of 10
Click for PRINTABLE PAGE
INGREDIENTS:
1 (15.5 oz.) can chick peas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
1-1/2 garlic cloves (about 1 tsp. chopped)
2 tsp. Hot Madras curry powder, or other curry powder of choice
3 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp. water
scant 1/2 tsp. sea salt
optional:  2 drops Tabasco or hot sauce

Place all ingredients in work bowl of food processor and blend till smooth.  Serve drizzled with olive oil if desired, with pita chips or crackers of choice.  Makes about 1 cup.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

I adore hummus and will willingly add curry to just about anything! Thus, this sounds fantastic to me!

Diane said...

I love hummus and make it quit often have not tried curried though, sounds good. Diane

Anonymous said...

I would never have thought to mix hummus and curry, but it really sounds like a great combo. I'm going to have to try this!!

Lenore said...

Oh, I make hummus all the time and NEVER thought to put curry powder in it! Such a good idea; thank you for sharing it :)