Thursday, August 2, 2012

ANOTHER PEACH FRANGIPANE TART

peach frangipane tart (4)

Even though I have a favorite recipe for peach frangipane tart, when I stumbled onto a new blog that had a different recipe, I just had to try it.  This recipe, from At the Baker’s Bench blog, was one such experiment. 

As usually happens with me, I start out fully intending to follow the original recipe.  It must be my nature, though, to get sidetracked with changes.  Though I enjoyed the finished product, it didn’t come close to my all-time favorite, and it was probably more my fault than anyone's.  (I must say, however, that I prefer confectioner’s sugar in frangipane for a smoother custard, and only a half egg for a less "eggy" taste.)  I forgot to sprinkle turbinado sugar on the peaches, which contributed to the not-sweet-enough taste.

Even with my changes mistakes, this is still a good dessert, one that my friends enjoyed.  Frangipanes, I am convinced, are like brides and Christmas trees -- no ugly ones.  I mean, what could be wrong with a sweet almond cream on a flaky pastry, baked with freshly sliced sweetened peaches?  Here’s the recipe for today's tart, with my notes on how to make it better.  And, P. S. if you haven't visited At the Baker's Bench, do so today -- there are some great recipes there!

ANOTHER PEACH FRANGIPANE TART
Adapted from At the Baker’s Bench
Rating:  8 out of 10

Click for PRINTABLE PAGE 

Crust: Use your favorite one-crust pie crust recipe.  Roll 3/4 of dough to 11” circle.  Fit into 9” tart pan with removable bottom.  Refrigerate.

Frangipane: 
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter, very soft
1/4 cup white sugar  (I would add at least another tablespoon of sugar)*
pinch of salt
1/2 cup almond meal
1 egg (I would cut this to 1/2 egg – about 1-1/2 Tbsp.) 
1 Tbsp. almond liqueur
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract (I would eliminate this.)

(*To make the frangipane smoother, pulse the sugar in a mini food processor first, to make it superfine.)  In small bowl, whisk butter, sugar and salt till smooth.  Blend in almond meal, egg, liqueur and vanilla (if using) till again smooth.  Set aside.

Peach Filling: 
3 peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. almond liqueur
2 - 4 Tbsp. sugar  (Taste peaches, add more sugar if needed.) 
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract (I would eliminate this.)
3 Tbsp. apricot jam or preserves

In medium bowl, toss peaches with lemon juice, liqueur, sugar and vanilla.  Let sit 15 minutes to form juices.

In the meantime, heat oven to 375F.  Line a baking sheet with parchment.
Spread frangipane over chilled pie crust.  Arrange peaches decoratively over frangipane.  Combine preserves and liqueur in small bowl and heat on high till just hot in microwave, about 20 seconds.  Stir, then brush over top of peaches. 
peach frangipane tart (2) 
Spoon any remaining juices from bowl over the peaches.  Place the tart on the parchment-lined baking sheet.  Bake about 40-45 minutes, or till frangipane is bubbling and crust is golden. 
peach frangipane tart 
Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.  Serve slices with ice cream, sweetened whipped cream or creme fraiche.  Serves 6-8



3 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

So glad to see I'm not the only one that comes back to favorite recipes after trying a new one. Very pretty presentation Judy.
Sam

Diane said...

Wow but that looks soooo good. Yummy. Diane

Linda said...

This is a beautiful presentation and sounds so delicious with the frangipane layer! Loving all these peach desserts with ice cream. Makes it a perfect summer dessert.