Sunday, August 24, 2008


Our local Harris Teeter had beautiful wild-caught sea scallops for $10.99/lb this week, and they were nice enough to email me a recipe for the scallops with my weekly fresh-catch newsletter. Can you believe they even included a short video showing me how to make this dish? I love Harris Teeter, and I love scallops, so I couldn't wait to try this. MyThai friend, Sara, had given me a bottle of sweet chili sauce, so I was ready. This recipe is fast and very good. How I think it could be better: serve the scallops over grits or rice, and just drizzle the sauce lightly over top. There's enough sauce in this halved recipe to adequately take care of 1 lb. of scallops. Since the sauce is sweet -- very sweet -- drizzling it would be nicer than covering the scallops in it. Guy's not a big scallop fan, but he liked these. I made a few changes to the recipe: I added a pinch of ground red pepper and added salt and pepper to the flour instead of seasoning the scallops after they browned, as the recipe suggested. Other than that, I followed it closely.

Ginger-Chili Scallops
Rating 9 out of 10
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 lb. sea scallops
1-1/2 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1/2 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
2 oz. Thai sweet chili sauce
1/3 tsp. honey or brown sugar
pinch of ground red pepper
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

In a small heavy skillet, heat 2 Tbsp. olive oil over medium heat. Measure the flour, salt and pepper into a resealable sandwich bag and mix to distribute ingredients. Add scallops and shake well to coat scallops in flour mixture. Add floured scallops to hot oil and cook about 2 minutes, or till nicely browned on underside.
Turn scallops over and cook another 2 minutes, then add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat and cover; cook about 3 minutes, or till scallops are tender and cooked through. Serve scallops over rice or grits, if desired, and lightly drizzle some of the sauce over top. Serves 2.


Clumbsy Cookie said...

What great looking scallops! I love how nicely glazed they are!

Judy said...

And they tasted as good as they looked!