Saturday, June 23, 2012

BLUEBERRIES, BLUEBERRIES, BLUEBERRIES

Yes, it’s that time again.  Blueberries are everywhere and they’re luscious and dark blue and full of antioxidants.  Besides that, they taste good.  Eat them raw:  toss them in salads, put them on your breakfast cereal, use them to make smoothies.  If you have any left over for baking, try some of my best blueberry desserts. 

Lemon Blueberry Cheese Tart is a perfect make-ahead company-for-dinner dessert.  Fresh blueberries are a must for the topping, but frozen can be used for the puree.001_thumb[3]
 
Blueberry Swirl-Lemon Shortbread bars are a bit of work, but well worth the trouble.  They freeze beautifully and make a wonderful snack or dessert.  They’re also great to tote to a pot-luck.blueberry swirl bars (4)_thumb[3]

Blueberry Cheesecake Bars, adapted from Kraft, are fast, easy and super delicious.027

Cooks Illustrated Blueberry Pie is one of the best blueberry pies I’ve tasted.  My adaptation makes it a bit easier than CI’s overly complicated recipe.CI blueberry pie (10)

Bon Appetit's Blueberry Sour Cream Pie, with a crumb topping, is another to-die-for dessert.IMG_4973

If you like mixing berries, try my Blueberry-Raspberry Crumb Pie.  This one is really, really goodDSC00258

My Wholegrain Blueberry Cobbler got my highest rating.  It’s that good.  DSC02023

Don’t forget muffins.  Blueberry-Coconut Muffins with Pecan Streusel Topping is one of my top faves.007_thumb[4]

America's Test Kitchen Blueberry Muffins are the ultimate, even though they’re a bit of work.  Homemade blueberry jam and fresh blueberries really pack an intense blueberry flavor, and the lemon-sugar topping takes these over the top.
012_thumb[4]
 
  















King Arthur Flour's Classic Blueberry Muffins are easier than CI's, but have intense blueberry flavor.KA classic blueberry muffins_thumb[1]

If you want just a regular blueberry muffin with no bells and whistles, try Joy of Baking’s Buttermilk Berry Muffins.  Great texture, loaded with blueberries, and fast and easy recipe.  buttermilk berry muffins

There's only 1-1/4 cups of blueberries in this Limoncello Apple-Blueberry Pie, but they won't be in the background.  Apples and blueberries are great partners, and this is one delicious pie.


20 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

What a delicious roundup of blueberry recipes. I need to buy more!

Diane said...

Wish we had some blueberries around here, love the sound of the shortbread swirl. Diane

Janice said...

These look soooo good. Blueberries are very good for you, so some pie and cake with blueberries can't be bad!

Coleens Recipes said...

Oh my goodness, you've tripped the "gotta have something blueberry" bell for me...delicious.

Joanne said...

I've been pretty addicted to blueberries lately! Can't wait to try some of these.

Anonymous said...

I loooove blueberries, and this time of year they are perfect! Thanks for sharing so many delicious recipes to utilize them!

lisa is cooking said...

I've been getting lots of local blueberries lately, and all of these recipes look like great ways to use them. The tart looks so pretty--and delicious, and I have to make a cobbler while berries are in season!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

What a great body of work... And love the look of those swirl bars!

great post... COnsider submitting ALL of these to eRecipeCards.com, the world needs to have access to these!

Dave

Judy said...

Thanks Dave for that tip. If I can find the time I will.

Cathy at Wives with Knives said...

Wow, what a great collection of blueberry recipes. I want to try each one of them starting with the cheesecake bars and then go on to that gorgeous tart.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Blueberries are such a favourite this time of the year!!!

Ocean Breezes and Country Sneezes said...

I don't know where to begin! Love everything! Thanks for a beautiful on-line dessert cart! Have a lovely 4th!

Mary

Katrina said...

Yum! What a delicious blueberry round up! Happy 4th!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Thanks for sharing the whole group of recipes. Now, I have one place to find new recipes from and these look delicious.

Patricia Palmer aka GrandPat said...

This is a lovely post. Great photos and great recipes. We will have blueberry season in Nova Scotia in August I think. July is strawberry season there. I'm going to have to try some of these.

teresa said...

mmm, this makes me want to go blueberry-crazy in the kitchen!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

I would have never thought to put apples and blueberries together but it sounds fantastic!

Jo said...

Oh wow, so many amazing blueberry recipes, I'm bookmarking like crazy! I absolutely love the look of the blueberry coconut muffins. I've never paired those flavours before.

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

What a gorgeous display of blueberry desserts and muffins! I don't know which one I'd like best! Hope you're staying cool these days!

Roz | La Bella Vita Cucina said...

Wow, such a delightful display of blueberry recipes! I wouldn't know which one to prepare first! Hope you're staying cool these days!