Sunday, June 1, 2008

CHICKEN AND SHRIMP SHISH-KA-BOB

Shish-ka-bob is the grill's answer to a one-pot meal. Everything you need for balanced eating is in the shish-ka-bob. Some people have it with rice, but frankly I think it's perfect all by itself.
You can use any vegetables you want, but I really like the traditional: onion, peppers, mushrooms and tomatoes. Of course, the proteins are your choice -- you can use any meat you like, and almost any seafood you like. I used to mix all the components on a skewer, making a very nice presentation. But the problem is not everything cooks at the same rate -- so you wind up with something overcooked and something undercooked, and it doesn't taste all that great. So now I skewer the veggies separately; I also separate seafood from other meats. First, I marinate everything. This time, I used McCormick's Grill Mates Tomato, Garlic and Basil Marinade. I added a touch of seasoned vinegar to it, kicking it up a notch. The chicken went into its bag, and the shrimp went into its bag, then into the fridge. The wooden skewers got soaked in warm water while the protein was marinating.
The veggies can also be marinated in the Grill Mates, but this time I decided to just give them an olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper marinade. You really don't need a recipe for this. Follow the directions on the marinade packet. The nice thing about marinating in resealable bags is that you don't have to use a ton of marinade to cover everything. When you close up the bag, pressing out the air pockets, you'll find that just a small amount of marinade goes a long way. I rarely use a whole packet of marinade, because it's wasteful and unnecessary.
When you're ready to grill, put the veggies and chicken on first, but watch them. If you see that a skewer is cooking fast, you can move it to a cooler spot on the grill, or take it off when it's done and let it wait in an oven that's turned off. The shrimp will go on last because it cooks the fastest. I hope you'll make this nice summer meal soon. We have it often in warmer months. It's light, it's easy, and it's oh, so good. Best of all, Guy and I both like it, so I don't have to cook two meals to satisfy us. If you have questions or comments about the shish-ka-bob, just click on the comment link at the end of this blogpost.

No comments: