Friday, June 20, 2008

CREAMY ROASTED GARLIC HUMMUS, adapted

This has been the week from hell. My obsessive-compulsive nature has caught up with me, and I'm dealing with a repetitive stress injury from too much computer work. I'll try to get as many posts in as I can, but my shoulder really, really hurts.

I found this recipe on Recipe Zaar, and the reviews were excellent from everyone who tried it. I was a little disappointed in the taste. It seemed flat to me. So I added cumin and crushed chile pepper, and increased the salt. It's still not my favorite hummus, but it tastes better with the the added flavors.

Creamy Roasted Garlic Hummus, adapted
Rating: 6 out of 10
1 large head of garlic
4 Tbsp. +1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided use
2 cups canned chickpeas
2 Tbsp. tahini
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. crushed chile pepper
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 tsp. sea salt
About 1/4 cup warm water

Preheat oven to 375F. Cut a head of garlic in half.
Brust both exposed sides with the 1 tsp. of oil. Close the head back up, putting the two exposed sides back together, and wrap in tinfoil.
Roast in oven for 1 hour. Remove and allow to cool. Squeeze the soft, roasted garlic out of each clove into the work bowl of a food processor. Rinse and drain chickpeas and add them to the food processor. Pulse till completely smooth. Add remaining ingredients, except water, and pulse again till smooth. Add water slowly while pulsing until you get the hummus to the texture you want. Yield: About 2-1/2 cups of hummus

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judy,

I LOVE your blog and read it almost daily. I only wish I could cook/bake as well as you. But, as my mom says, that's life. I still enjoy reading about your recipes. Also, I wanted to say I hope your shoulder feels much better very soon. God bless, from a fellow New Bernian, Joy

Judy said...

Joy, thanks so much -- I started physical therapy today. I will have to take it easy on the computer but hope to be able to post more recipes tomorrow. And don't worry about being a good cook/baker. Practice makes perfect. Stay in the kitchen.