Tuesday, June 17, 2008

JUDY'S LOW-FAT CORNY CORN MUFFINS

Corn muffins just go so well with BBQ ribs, chicken or pork. But most corn muffins are dry and tasteless, IMHO. I searched the internet and couldn't quite find the recipe I wanted. So I put together my own. Since I was using self-rising cornmeal, there are fewer ingredients involved, and these mixed up quickly. I actually mixed the batter several hours ahead so I wouldn't have to do it at the last minute. Then about 20 minutes before we ate, I put the batter in the muffin tins and in the oven. These muffins were moist, with really good flavor and I loved the corn kernels inside. This is my go-to corn muffin recipe from now on.

Judy's Low-Fat Corny Corn Muffins
Source: Judy's Kitchen
Rating: 9 out of 10
INGREDIENTS:
1 ear of fresh corn, cooked
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 Tbsp. molasses
1/2 cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup sugar + 1 tsp. Stevia)
1 large egg
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup lite sour cream
1/2 cup fat-free half and half
1 cup self-rising cornmeal (I used Tenda-Bake white)
Place the ear of corn on the center post of a tube pan or bundt pan (see below) and cut the kernels off. After the kernels are scraped off, use the back of the knife to scrape up and down against the cob to get all the cornstarch out -- there will be quite a bit. When you are done, the cob should be picked clean. Set aside.Preheat oven to 425F. Combine the sour cream and half and half together; set aside. In a medium microwaveable bowl, melt the butter. With a whisk, stir in the molasses and sugar and beat well. Beat in the egg, sour cream, half and half and applesauce, combining well. Stir in the cornmeal and corn and mix just till barely combined. Fill 10 muffin cups 2/3 full and bake for 13-16 minutes, or till muffins test done with a wooden pick.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

brinkka2011 says: I think you should use more images on your blog, but besides that, it is really great. Cheers.