Thursday, September 25, 2008

BANANA PUMPKIN ZUCCHINI WHOLE-GRAIN MUFFINS

Katrina blogged about these muffins recently, and got me interested. She found the recipe on allrecipes.com and adapted it to muffins. I love reading Katrina's blog to see what creative idea she comes up with next and also to see the photos of her adorable boys.

It took me a while to make these muffins. First I had to buy a banana. I never did buy the wheat bran, so I subbed quick oats. The banana got ripe, then I had to freeze it because I wasn't ready. By then I had used up most of my zucchini and had to go buy more just so I could make these. I was going to make a half batch, but I was sure they would be good, so I made the full batch. I should have made the half batch. Not that these weren't good. It's just that I need to make them again. The flavor is outstanding, not too spicy at all, just very well rounded and flavorful. The problem is that the muffins are very dense, and the edges are tougher, or harder, than my normal muffins, and I need to make these again, adjusting the baking temperature, to see if that helps. The batter of these muffins is unlike any batter that I have ever worked with. There is no liquid, so the batter is very thick and stiff. I really think the batter needs some liquid: yogurt?My addition of butterscotch and white chocolate chips really takes these over the top. I will definitely make these again, but I will be baking them at 350F from the start --or maybe even 325F (instead of starting them at 400F and reducing the oven temp right away to 350F, like I usually do) and will possibly add some yogurt. But next time I will make a half batch.
Update: After reading the original recipe on allrecipes.com, I saw that it calls for 1 cup of maple syrup. I used 1/2 cup, so there is 1/2 cup of syruppy liquid missing. That probably accounts for some of the density of the muffin. I'm adding 1/2 cup liquid below.

UPDATE: See my revised recipe.

Banana Pumpkin Zucchini Whole-Grain Muffins
Rating: withheld for further testing
INGREDIENTS:
Crumb-Nut Topping: 3 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
3 Tbsp. brown sugar
3 Tbsp. oats
3 Tbsp. chopped toasted walnuts
2 Tbsp. butter, melted

Combine all ingredients in a small bowl with a spoon, fork or spatula. Set aside.

Muffins: 1/4 cup pumpkin
1 ripe banana, mashed
1/4 cup sugar (or sugar substitute)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup pure maple syrup + 1/2 cup vanilla nonfat yogurt (or 1 cup maple syrup)
1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
2 cups whole wheat flour (or whole wheat pastry flour, if preferred), lightly spooned & swept
1 cup quick oats (or unprocessed wheat bran, if preferred)
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. powdered cloves
1/4 tsp. powdered ginger
1/16 tsp. allspice
1/2 cup toasted walnuts, chopped
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/2 cup white chocolate clips
2 cups grated zucchini

Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, banana, sugar and eggs; whisk till well combined. Add syrup, yogurt and vanilla, whisking again till smooth and well combined.

In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients, nuts and chips and whisk or stir till everything is mixed well. Add zucchini and stir with spatula till zucchini is well distributed throughout and coated with dry ingredients.

Add dry ingredients to wet and stir with spatula just until moistened. Batter will be very thick and stiff. Scoop into muffin tins that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Top each muffin with about 1 Tbsp. crumb-nut topping, pressing in slightly so it sticks. Bake about 20 minutes, or till muffins test done: when a toothpick inserted near center returns with just a few crumbs. Cool in pans 5 minutes, then turn out on wire rack to finish cooling. Yield: 12 standard size muffins.

4 comments:

Katrina said...

Thanks for mentioning me on your blog! Sorry the muffins didn't work out quite as you'd hoped. I do like yogurt in muffins and usually put it in most of them I make. Better luck next time! I like your additions.

Judy said...

Katrina - I just bought another banana and will be trying a half batch as soon as it gets nice and ripe.

Katrina said...

Have you seen that you are on Levain's blog/website? They put a bunch of blogs who have tried the clones of their cookie on their site. Anna and I are a little bummed that we're not even on there. Same with Clumbsy Cookie. The three of us came up with the whole idea of yeast as the leavener and we think maybe we're right, so they didn't put us on there or something. Who knows. Oh well. Cool that you and so many others are on there!
http://www.levainbakery.com/cookies/recipes.aspx

Judy said...

Katrina - Anna is on in both places. Check again. Try changing the heading on your Levain cookie recipes. I bet they did a google search for Levain CCC and took whatever came up on page 1.