Wednesday, September 17, 2008

SHRIMP FRA DIAVOLO, ADAPTED


My life is not my own. Two days a week belong to my Physiatrist and Physical Therapist, and one day belongs to my Chiropractic Neurologist. And now I'm adding the dentist. On the plus side, I am getting to read a lot of magazines as I wait in medical offices. This recipe is from the January 2008 issue of Good Housekeeping Magazine, courtesy of my Physiatrist. Good Housekeeping has their own website, and this recipe is posted there. Guy and I both enjoyed this. (My changes: I added 1/2 of a green and 1/2 of a red pepper. And I didn't have the oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, so I used what I had: regular sun-dried. I rehydrated them in hot water, and added 2 tsp. of EVOO.) A word of caution: don't skimp on the basil; it's important to the flavor of this dish. I made the full recipe, and we got 2 meals out of it. Since I have to cook two pots of pasta, one white for him, and one whole-wheat for me, that was a nice bonus to not have to cook when we had the leftovers. And nothing else is needed with this dish, since it's a completely balanced meal in itself: protein, whole grains and veggies.
Shrimp Fra Diavolo, Adapted
Rating: 8 out of 10
INGREDIENTS: 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in oil, chopped (or rehydrated tomatoes with some oil added)
2 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
1/4 to 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
1 red or green bell pepper, sliced in strips (or half of each)
1/4 tsp. sea salt
1 pkg. (13.25 oz.) whole-grain spaghetti
1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes in puree (I used Red Pack plum tomatoes in puree and chopped them)
1 lb. fresh or frozen and thawed shelled and deveined jumbo raw shrimp
1-1/2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves, chopped
Heat large saucepot of salted water to boiling on high.
Meanwhile, heat a 12-inch skillet on medium until hot. Add sun-dried tomatoes, garlic and crushed red pepper, and cook until garlic is fragrant, about 1 minute. Add pepper strips and salt; cook and stir another minute or two. Add tomatoes with puree; heat to boiling on medium-high and cook 5 minutes to blend flavors, stirring and breaking up tomatoes with side of spoon. Cover and simmer. When water boils, add spaghetti and cook as label directs. About 3-4 minutes before spaghetti is done, turn up heat under skillet and add shrimp. Drain pasta and return to saucepot. Add shrimp mixture and basil to pasta in saucepot; toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings

No comments: