Wednesday, September 3, 2008

GEORGIA PEACH-AND-BERRY COBBLER

Our local Wal-Mart gave out copies of Southern Living Cooking School Make it Easy recipe book, and I was fortunate enough to get one. I'm always up for a new cobbler recipe, and this one sounded easy. I had fresh peaches I wanted to use, and blackberries were in my freezer. I'm not a huge fan of self-rising flour, though. I find it very salty and too heavy in baking powder. So I subbed some whole grain cornmeal for a little of the SR flour. I really like the flavors of this cobbler. Lemon rind (zest) brings out the flavor of the fruit. And it's not too sweet. Just right, actually. I haven't found a
cobbler recipe that I don't like yet. This one is another winner. I served it with Harris Teeter's Premium Summer Peach Ice Cream (no fillers, stabilizers, gums; just cream, milk, sugar, peaches and flavorings.)

Georgia Peach-And-Berry Cobbler 
Rating: 8 out of 10
Click for PRINTABLE PAGE

INGREDIENTS:
3 cups frozen or fresh sliced peaches
1 cup frozen or fresh blackberries or
raspberries
3/4 cup sugar (I subbed Stevia for part of the sugar)
1 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. grated lemon zest
1 cup self-rising flour
1/4 cup whole-grain fine-ground cornmeal
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 cup milk or fat-free half and half (I used FF H&H)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

Preheat oven to 400F. (Note: It's not necessary to thaw the fruit if it's frozen.) Toss together peaches and next 4 ingredients; spoon lightly into a lightly greased 11" x 7 " or 9" x 9" baking dish. Combine flours and 2 Tbsp. sugar in a large bowl; make a well in center. Stir together milk and melted butter; add to dry ingredients, stirring just till moistened. Spoon evenly over fruit mixture. Bake about 1 hour or till crust is completely done. (I found that the crust browned before it was done underneath. This crust has considerably more liquid than other cobbler crusts, and no egg, so be sure to bake for the entire length of time so that you don't get a runny crust underneath. You may have to cover the crust with foil to prevent it from getting too dark.)

No comments: