Wednesday, May 11, 2011

ROASTED BEET SALAD WITH ORANGES AND BEET GREENS

014

The best way to buy beets is with greens attached.  But the greens are mostly too big and tough to enjoy in a salad, and I’ve been unsure if I would like them cooked.  With my recent farmer’s market purchase, I decided to take the plunge and found this interesting recipe that uses both the roots and the green tops together. 

I was amazed at how much I liked this salad, and at the same time, disappointed that I’ve missed out all these years.  And, while the entire salad is delicious, it was the beet greens that I was poking around for.  Drizzled with an orange vinaigrette, they are beyond delicious.  This recipe will be in a regular rotation at our house from now on, and even picky hubby agrees it’s a winner.  Don’t wait too long like I did – enjoy this salad now while beets are in season.

015

Roasted Beet Salad With Oranges and Beet Greens
Source:  Bon Appetit, January 2004
Rating:  10 out of 10
Click for PRINTABLE PAGE


INGREDIENTS:  6 medium beets with beet greens attached
2 large oranges
1 small sweet onion, cut through root end into thin wedges
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. finely grated orange zest

Heat oven to 400F.  Trim greens from beets.  Cut off and discard stems.  Coarsely chop leaves and reserve.  Wrap each beet in foil.  Place beets directly on oven rack and roast until tender when pierced with fork, about 1 hour 30 minutes.  (It will depend on actual size of beet root, so open the largest beet and pierce with fork to test for doneness at 45 minutes to gauge your cooking time.)  Cool.  Peel beets, then cut each into 8 wedges.  Place beets in medium bowl.

Cook beet greens in large saucepan of boiling water just until tender, about 2 minutes.  Drain.  Cool.  Squeeze greens to remove excess moisture.  Add greens to bowl with beets.  Cut peel and white pith from oranges. Working over another bowl and using small sharp knife, cut between membranes to release segments.  Add orange segments and onion to bowl with beet mixture.  Whisk vinegar, oil,  garlic and orange peel in small bowl to blend; add to beet mixture and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper.  Let stand at room temperature 1 hour.  Serve.  (Note:  I placed the beet greens on the bottom of a dish, then arranged the remaining ingredients on top, and drizzled with the vinaigrette for a prettier presentation.)

3 comments:

Diane said...

That sounds amazing. Diane

www.you-made-that.com said...

I should try this, I have never cooked a beet or eaten that many before only the ones on the salad bar. Thanks for the recipe :)

Anonymous said...

I love beets, and I love all kinds of greens, but I've never had beet greens! This sounds delicious. Now I have an excuse to try them out!